Saturday, July 19, 2014

Zipporah's Birth

It was a dark and stormy night. . . 

Actually, it was a warm day in mid-June.  Since my last four births were inductions I was sort-of expecting the same this time, while trying to be hopeful it would not happen.  In any case, even though I had gotten to the point of planning childcare for the "big day" I was still thrown off-guard mentally at my last appointment when "it became real."  Every time, it seems that happens.  As much as I try to prepare, I am still a blubbering mess the minute my doc says, how about "this day."

I had decided to wait until the next Monday, June 23rd. . . but then as I saw my doctor the Monday before (on my due date, June 16) said she said I would need to come in for a non-stress test on Thursday, I joked about bringing my bag and just staying, but she looked at me seriously and said I could come in on Wednesday (June 18) instead. . . if I wanted.  Goodness, I felt like she had just asked if I wanted my arm or my leg cut off.  I could NOT decide!!  I spent most of the day in agony.  Seriously.  Finally, even though I wanted so badly to give myself more time, it really fit in everyone's schedule (my husband, my parents, my in-laws) better if we went ahead and "did it" on Wednesday.  And after some reflection (especially now that the induction went as it did) I honestly believe if we had decided to wait until Monday, I still would have had to be induced, it just would have been a few days later and a bit more inconvenient for everyone.

So the morning of my induction day (set to begin that evening - around 7:30pm), I woke up early and went for a nice long walk (as was my custom during the later weeks of pregnancy, once my belly became too large for jogging).  It was nice and peaceful.  I was enjoying myself and chatting with God, and suddenly I look down and 500,000 mosquitoes were attacking my legs!!  Seriously!!  Where did they come from and how did I not notice them earlier?!?!  (Well, I was wearing compression pantyhose, and I "feel" those all the time, so I guess that is why I did not notice them earlier, but to have them all attack at once was quite unnerving!!)  I spent the rest of my walk (about 30 more minutes to get back home) looking down at my legs (first front and then back - making my gait quite awkward) every five seconds to check for/swat at mosquitoes!!  I felt like I had gotten jumped in the subway and those 30 minutes were MISERABLE.  All I could think was, "Really, God?!?!  Was that necessary?!?!"  Anyhow, about 10 minutes from home I realized I was early enough this morning that I could probably jump in the shower and still make it to the church near my house for the 8am daily Mass.  My brain thought, "Good idea!!" so I picked up the pace, speed-showered, and ran up to the church only to discover they do not have the 8am daily Mass on Wednesdays. . . only Tuesdays and Thursdays (the days we usually attend with the local Catholic school).  So slap-in-the-face number two. . .

I pushed on with my day, finished packing/prepping the house to be gone a few days, etc. and managed to get my husband and oldest daughter, Rebekah (who would be attending the birth with me), to Plainville (30 minutes away - where I would deliver), not only on-time, but early!!  We got them Dairy Queen burgers for dinner (the husband's favorite) and I skipped because I was too nervous to eat.


Notice my husband's humor. . . he was quick to "doodle" on our white-board.

We had to enter through the Emergency entrance because that is the only door not locked after 6 pm.  The ladies there, though, were most helpful and friendly.  Shortly after getting settled they started me on cervadil.  Although many of my friends have great stories of labor happening shortly after starting this drug, I cannot add my story to theirs.  The best I had were some fairly regular "wimpy" contractions by morning.  Fortunately I was able to sleep fairly well - even in that uncomfortable hospital bed.

So then that morning I had to make ANOTHER DECISION!!  Blargh, why is giving birth full of so many choices?!?!  

(But on the flip side, I am grateful to be consulted.  I should note that when I got there, my nurse told me, "This is YOUR birth.  Whatever YOU want, let us know."  And I really carried that attitude with me.  This is MY BIRTH.  I am in charge and they are here to assist/help.)

I was not eager to start pitocin, but I was not quite ready to "just go home" and come back on Monday.  So we decided to do some walking.  We walked from Rooks County Health Center (RCHC) to the awesome playground at Sacred Heart Catholic School in Plainville.  Although it takes five minutes to make the trip by car, it is apparently about two miles one way.  Who knew?  My doctor was a little shocked to hear that we went so far but my family really enjoys "destination" walks, so this was perfect for us.

After letting my daughter play some we walked on to the local convenience store for her and my husband to pick up some snacks.  By the time we got back to RCHC my contractions (which had been every 3-5 minutes for a minute to a minute and a half long) were getting stronger.  I was hopeful that maybe things would keep going.  Unfortunately as I sat down for a bit back in my room, they practically stopped.

I was grateful for this opportunity to try and "do it on my own" but I finally realized that I NEEDED the pitocin.  So we ate lunch and got it started.  Oddly enough, even with the pitocin, my contractions were not all the regular (which is not how pitocin usually works for me - normally they come fast and furious) and they were not all that strong either (but that is NOT uncommon for me in the beginning of starting pitocin).  Once the pitocin started I had to be "babysat" in case anything went wrong.  But I did not mind because I had an AMAZING nurse.  Seriously, she is THE BEST LABOR NURSE EVER!   What I remember most about her was feeling so comfortable.  With other labor nurses, I know they are there to help me and keep me safe, but there is almost a "fear" about them -a sense of "I have to protect you, I HOPE you will listen to me, and I am AFRAID for what you are going through."  There was none of that with Nancy.  She was completely relaxed and calm and it might have helped that we had similar interests in tv shows and books.  It was as if I had my best friend in the room, although we just met that morning.  Plus she was always reminding me to change positions every so often and suggesting other things to try and help the baby move down and open my hips, etc, but without being pushy or over-bearing about it.  Nancy was a tremendous blessing and I will be singing her praises for A LONG TIME and probably be requesting her if/when I end up delivering at RCHC again.

A couple hours of so-so contractions came and went.  I listened to some soothing music, got bored, watched an episode of Eureka, and then just sat and talked with Nancy for a while.  Finally around 5pm my doc came in and broke my water.  I had been wanting her to do that a bit sooner, but she had some patients to see, some loose ends to tie up, etc.  Since I was not in major discomfort yet I did not mind so much.  I was only at a loose 4 by this point.  However, once she broke my water, I immediately KNEW it was time for things to start happening.  I was nauseous and shaking.  I told my husband to call our birth photographer and tell her the baby would probably be here within an hour.  He looked at me skeptically and double-checked, "really, ONE hour?!?!"  I told him I could be wrong (although deep inside, I did not doubt my prediction) but just tell her "things are happening."  Fortunately, she was planning to come once she got off work at 5pm, so she was already on her way.  (Good thing, too, as I ended up delivering about 50 minutes later.)




This is where I mentally began to go crazy as I KNEW the end was close, but THIS WAS THE HARD PART!!  My favorite position ended up being hands and knees on the bed, with the head of the bed way up for me to grab on.  I had failed to get myself some cute "labor clothes" (one item from the "to do" list that just never got done) so here I was in my old giant t-shirt that I happened to be wearing when I came the day before and nothing else - giant arse up in the air for all to see.  But that's what labor is, right?  :)  At this point though, the pain was getting intense enough I really did not care AT ALL.  Now I care.  But then, not so much.  It was all I could do to breath through the contractions as they were the rough ones.  Fortunately there were only a few - I counted the REALLY BAD ones - somewhere between 6 and 10, I would say and did my best to offer up the pain for the intentions of my friends (that I had carefully listed out and read through earlier).

The handy thing about this position was that I did not have to switch to let my doc check me.  Which sounds silly, but it was a major perk as laying on my back during this part of labor is THE WORST for me.  Finally I felt the baby move down into my pelvis and my doc confirmed I was complete.  Then she asked if I wanted to deliver squatting.

ANOTHER DECISION!!  Sheesh!! 

(I say in jest, of course, I wrote a labor plan and mentally prepped myself for this moment as I really enjoy the pushing part and I wanted to savor it.  If I can say that without sound dumb, of course :)

I had WANTED to deliver in the birthing tub.  It was in my birth plan and everything.  But I knew the minute they hooked up the pitocin that would not happen as you cannot be on pictocin and have a water birth.  I would have to be off the pitocin for at least 30 minutes before getting in the water.  So plan B. . . They had brought in a squat bar, but I was more excited about the birthing stool.

This is might be hard to believe, but this picture was taken as I climbed off the bed, getting ready to push.  I was SO HAPPY!!  Giving birth is such a rush!  Notice my awesome nurse, Nancy, holding the doppler for the baby so they could hear her heartbeat?  She went above and beyond, for sure.  And my doc is behind me, prepping for delivery I guess. . . or maybe tying her shoe?  (LOL :)

In any case, I hopped off the bed, and I remember shouting out my thanks to God for getting me to that point!!  It was like seeing the finish line about a hundred yards out after a marathon.  (No, I have not run a marathon yet, but I would imagine that is what it is like, ok?  On a side note, running a marathon has been added to my "bucket list.")


Pushing.

I decided to just squat and began pushing.  After the first push, my doctor had me stop a minute to check if the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck.  It was not, but I had a bit of a cervical lip, apparently.  So she simply lifted it over the baby's head, easy peasy.  (Apparently that is quite painful, but I don't remember feeling it at all.)  Then another push and out fell Miss Zipporah.


You have to look closely, but down there, right by my doctor's hand, you can see a baby hand.  She just arrived.

I am taking off my shirt in this picture.  So I can put that baby on my chest.


Deliriously happy :)

Cute chubby baby face.


Pure bliss.

I should put this up on my facebook page and ask for captions as I have no idea what Gordie was saying here and can think of nothing pithy to put at the moment.
Here my doctor is giving my daughter a lesson on "placentas."  The other ladies standing by her were "learning" doctors that where shadowing Dr. Brull.  (I was WELL taken care of :)  I really love how she was very enthusiastic about me having Rebekah there.


I was back and forth on having Rebekah come.  When I initially asked her (shortly after telling her we were pregnant) she said she did not want to be there, but then about a week before she told me she could not decide.  Then the DAY BEFORE she said she WANTED to come.  I am so glad she was there.  She was a great help and it was an experience I am sure she will treasure.

I am so blessed to have such a great doctor!!
And I cannot thank God enough for this amazing birth and this amazing baby.  I love you, Zipporah Marie!!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely loved this blog post and pictures. Very beautiful. I think Rebekah was very brave for coming to witness the birth of her sister. Perhaps she should add a blog post about the experience through her little eyes??? :) Thank you so much for sharing this. Very beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete