Monday, December 15, 2014

7 Quick Takes - Advent

Advent Sweetness

This morning I was reflecting on Advent and feeling a little guilty that I have not taken the time to really prepare my heart.  But then I realized, Advent is not over yet!  There is still time!  Time to refill my lamp and/or get some more oil because the Bridegroom is not here yet.  So this morning, amidst the regular insanity of life here at "The Green Turtle Dojo" (our homeschool name) I sought out the "sweetness factors" of my life.




1. Miriam and Rebekah showering together in the morning.  Rebekah has started showering more, partly because she is getting older and mostly because she has long hair.  In any case, Miriam likes to be in the shower with her older siblings.  It makes my heart happy to see how joyfully Rebekah lets Miriam shower with her.  And it reaffirms my desire to homeschool as we would probably not have time for this if Rebekah had to be at school by 8am!  

2.  Paul's enthusiasm is really amazing.  He LOVES to talk. . . ALL - THE - TIME!!  But his enthusiasm really makes it adorable (except when I am grumpy or in a hurry, then I do not find it adorable because I am too busy being upset, but I digress. . . ) and I am often in awe of how he seems to have an endless river of excitement and enthusiasm.  It makes me think of how Jesus says we cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven unless we become like little children.  Perhaps we can take a lesson or two from Paul.

3.  I love that my children are growing to love Scripture.  This morning Rebekah was reading Sacred Scripture for our Jesse Tree.  At one point, she says, "That is all I'm supposed to read, but I'm going to read more because this is such a good story."  (It was David and Goliath.

4.  Zipporah is growing in her ability to interact with us.  We are now affectionately calling her "the little dinosaur," as she has started doing this little grunt/growl thing.  I will try to catch it on video, but trust me - it is really cute!

5.  This morning as the children, noticing that Baby Jesus' manger was still rather sparse, were tripping over each other looking for good deeds to do in order to put some more padding down for the little king.

6. Amidst the good deed search from the previous point, the children asked what Zipporah might do to participate.  I told them every time she smiles they could put in a piece of yarn for her.  And that brought on the smile-fest of the morning for sure as each child would kneel before her and cheerfully command, "Smile Zipporah!!" with their biggest smiles to show her how.  She complied, of course, and  I am sure Baby Jesus will find this "hay" to be the most soft and cozy!

7. Samuel received the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the first time yesterday and we as a family (those of us old enough) also were able to receive this Sacrament.  No matter how often I receive the Sacrament or Reconciliation, it NEVER GETS OLD to me.  Such a blessing we have for the Sacrament of Healing and Forgiveness.


Samuel and Zipporah

No comments:

Post a Comment