Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Journal #31

Out My Window:

Snow, lots of snow.  The local schools were canceled today and already for tomorrow as well!  We did schoolwork in our house, but we had some fun, too.  I really enjoyed walking to daily Mass this morning through the snow (it is only two blocks) and enjoying an intimate celebration of about 10 people.

Clothing Myself In:

A really big hoodie I got from my dad and sweats.  But in my defense, I wore jeans this morning.  I just had to change cause they got wet while I was shoveling snow.

Around the House:

Thank God for nesting.  I have been cleaning out little areas where clutter collects.  Unfortunately it is an endless process and the minute I get one spot clean, another pops up!  But one mess at a time I figure.

The Baby:

She has taken to wearing dress-up clothes pretty regularly and it such a hoot for me to see her tromping around in them, often with a little purse on her arm, acting all fancy.  She still is not speaking many actual words, but she will either bring the clothes to me to help her put on, or point to them so I know what she wants.



Zipporah is also getting more curious about things.  She is still considerably attached to me, but she will occupy herself for large chunks of time on her own and really enjoys playing with her siblings, especially Miriam. . . most of the time.  Sometimes Miriam gets a little TOO lovey on her and Zipporah lets out her goose honk (as someone - I cannot remember who now - called it, but an apt description for sure) to let Miriam know she has had enough!

The Kids:

Rebekah is growing up more and more each day.  Her latest skill is cleaning and cutting up vegetables for salad.  I enjoy keeping a salad ready to eat in the fridge and Rebekah has been so helpful in washing and tearing up the lettuce, as well as cutting up the tomatoes and cucumbers and whatever else I happen to find to put in there.  In addition to gaining skills, I think I'm noticing a bit of moodiness from Rebekah, but I'm not sure if it is just her beginning to turn into a woman, or her picking up some of my crazy-hormone-flux that the last trimester of pregnancy always seems to bring me.

Samuel is also becoming exceedingly helpful and responsible.  He is still a bit sensitive sometimes and rough with his brothers (especially poor Paul) at other times, but he seems to be figuring things out.  I really appreciate Samuel's help in the kitchen and how he is always eager to do what I ask right away.

Jacob is figuring things out - slowly but surely.  His reading is really coming along as he wants to read novels like Rebekah and Samuel do.  But he is still sort-of in a stand-off between acting like a little kid and being able to do what is asked, especially school work, when I ask it of him.  I can tell he is processing things more and more and am hopeful he will soon let go of his stubbornness.

Paul remains too smart for his own good some days.  He catches on to things - almost everything, exceedingly fast.  As predicted he is done with all his coursework in Math and his other subjects are close behind (but in the defense of the schoolwork, he is only in Kindergarten and that is not exactly a heavy load by any means).  But beyond schoolwork, Paul picks up on social situations and physical activities as well.  He is just pure awesome - and he knows it! - hah  I'm just hoping his conscience will start kicking in soon, as I've been feeding it every chance I get, but that is one area that he is still "childish" most days.  I am hopeful he will grow a little virtue soon, though, as him complaining about having to go to Mass is really getting old.  Just zap him, God, ok?

Miriam is showing a little attitude lately as she gets closer to four-years-old.  She is beginning to question more and ignore the directions she used to follow so well!  But alas, that is all part of growing up.  She is still cute as a button and loves playing with her sisters.

In the Kitchen:

I've finally begun making a weekly menu on Sunday and it is helping some.  I often do not stick to it - or at least not exactly, but having some ideas for dinner and lunch lined up is really helpful.  Now, before you all jump on me and tell me how important it is to plan by the month and know it all, let me say that I have tried that and finally realize that is just not how I work best.  I buy general staples for meals I like to make and I buy things on sale and toss them in the freezer.  But thinking things through, a week at a time gives me a few ideas - but I keep it loose and will cancel a dinner if we have unexpected left-overs, or throw out the plan and try something else if I feel like.  I like to keep things pretty loose.  Well, that and I do not know a lot of meals, so trying to plan an entire month is quite intimidating.  In addition sometimes I do not feel up to making a given meal as things like homemade pizza and calzones need to be started considerably early and require quite a bit of hard labor to complete.

Thinking About:

Cleaning, schoolwork, finances, and how we are hoping to spend our tax return money.

Bringing Me Joy:

An understanding husband (pregnancy is hard sometimes) adorable little kids and helpful older ones.

Pictures to Share:



First time in "snow gear" and Zipporah is not so sure about all this!

Miriam and Zipporah for Zipporah's first real time to tromp in the snow.  She enjoyed it once she figured out how it all worked.

Big sister, Rebekah, helping Zipporah navigate the snow.

2 comments:

  1. Those pictures are GREAT! I cannot plan a month out either, no way. I do a week at a time, and every once in awhile I will stick something I have in mind a few weeks in advance. I usually meal plan for the following week on Thursdays. Cooking for Father keeps me disciplined, but there are plenty of nights that I nix something in favor of something else, and I've gotten in a really bad habit of not planning Fridays at all and hoping something will just materialize. heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Zipporah in her snow gear!

    ReplyDelete