Monday, October 17, 2016

7 Quick Takes -- children update

It just dawned on me that I have seven children so I can give one update on each of them to make a super-fun, super-quick post. I'm timing myself, by the way, because I am short on time today. So here we go:


1) Rebekah




She is behind in school. Middle school level in the virtual school we do looks more like college to me. It is brutal. We are praying we come out on top at the end of the first semester in December.

2) Samuel




He has become the baby whisperer. I kid you not. He used to just hold Peter, limply and whine about how he could not make him happy and Peter would rage on. Now, when Peter is fussy, I ask Samuel to take him. Samuel sings to him and walks him around gently and calms him like no other.

I often ask Samuel to a screaming baby, only to find Peter totally chill in Samuel's arms, 5 or 10 minutes later.

3) Jacob




He is turning a corner on being compliant. He was giving me a lot of trouble on the start of the school year, but now he willingly does his studies with no trouble.

4) Paul


Paul with his Grandma.


Paul is learning he can have an attitude, but I don't think he really means to. His latest joke is to respond to my requests with, "n--o" (as in spelling it out). Then when I go ballistic on him he quickly says it was a joke. Let's hope he outgrows this stage soon.


5) Miriam




Since she was disturbing Zipporah's naps (as they now share the same room) I concluded she no longer "needs" naps. Some days she is a little overtired in the evening, but generally she does okay. Of course, I'm not sure I'm ready for her not to nap -- I sometimes need a little bit of a break from the preschooler, you know?


6) Zipporah




This girl is into everything. She wants to do everything the big kids do, from putting dishes in the dishwasher to putting away the toys. It is such a joy to watch her figure things out.

Also, I think she might be a natural at playing basketball some day. She has an uncanny knack for being DIRECTLY IN MY WAY. No matter where I want to go, she is in the way, almost all the time, but especially when I'm cooking and/or in a hurry.


7) Peter



Peter does not nap. He is tired. He needs naps. I have tried everything -- nursing to sleep in my lap, rocking, putting him in the swing, wearing him. He just will not stay asleep if not latched on, so he is making everyone's life miserable these days. Fortunately he sleeps well at night, so I have not gone totally insane yet.

2 comments: