Thursday, July 22, 2010

Life Giving Love


Ok, so I am reading this book (or trying to - in tiny snip-its as I am able) and LOVING IT!! I just read this line:
Hope is the God-given ability to look at our ragtag collection of little ones and see part of the army of God. It is the sense that God knows what he is doing in calling us to this incredible task of changing the world one diaper at a time. And hope is what God produces in us through trials that are met with endurance.
Ahhh, soothing to my soul. Kimberly Hahn is my hero. She speaks the truth that I need to hear after being bombarded by so many lies. Basically the truth from this book is that KIDS ARE GOOD - actually, not just good, GREAT (but not in the way Frosted Flakes are). They are blessings beyond our understanding - everything about them. I would not be the person I am today if I had not had my children and it seems as though each new one teaches me something the others have not.
Recently my husband and I sat down and took a serious look at our finances (again - yes, we do this quite often) and came to the conclusion that we are not just poor, we are incredibly poor. But you know what? I honestly don't envy the rich anymore. I really used to. I used to think of how nice it would be to be able to buy everything I want. But now I realize. . . if I could buy everything I want, what use would I have for God? Where would I find time for Him if I didn't need Him so desperately?
Blessed are the poor. He is not kidding! We are so incredibly blessed. Through our poverty I am able to fully trust that God will provide for us. Through our poverty I am able to see just how little earthly wealth matters. Shelter and food and clothing are good, don't get me wrong, but in the end, what endures? The eternal souls of His children - His children that He lets us bear for Him. What an honor.
How often have I heard "I'm done having children. We dont' want anymore." How sad. How sad that we miss the blessings God has for us. How sad that we say no to the sacrifices we have to make in order to care for children -the very sacrifices that make us better people and turn us toward Him!

3 comments:

  1. So beautifully true! I'll have to check that book out when I make it through my current read. It sounds like a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post.

    Michelle, how do you two know eachother. Thru Karen as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I L-O-V-E this book! Seriously! Kim writes to the heart of the woman. Everyone raves about Scott, but I found most of his books to be re-statements of the obvious. Nothing new or "straight to the heart." Kim on the other hand, packs a powerful and observant punch as a writer! Seriously, everyone should give this one a read!

    ReplyDelete