Wednesday, December 8, 2010

More Advent

I have been meaning to post on this for some time, but. . . my time is not my own - and it seems if I want any to do anything other than is requried, lately I have to steal time from when I should be sleeping!! But I guess that teaches obedience, right?

In any case, the following is from the Office of Readings, Friday of the First Week of Advent. I just LOVE it and have it bookmarked and have read it over and over. I'm only going to type the first few paragraphs but that gives you a taste. I hope it moves you as much as it moves me.

From the Proslogion by Saint Anslem, bishop:

Insignificant man, escape from your everyday business for a short while, hide for a moment from your restless thoughts. Break off from your cares and troubles and be less concerned about your tasks and labors. Make a little time for God and rest a while in him.

Enter into your mind's inner chamber. Shut out everything but God and whatever helps you seek him; and when you have shut the door, look for him. Speak now to God and say with your whole heart: I seek your face; your face, Lord, I desire.

I have been trying to focus on Peace this Advent. But God has been asking me to surrender. I can peacefully surrender on the outside - not yelling at the kids, doing what I should, not throwing a fit or acting out. But on the inside. . . I am anything but peaceful. Sometimes I wonder as I sit peacefully waiting for something, if the person next to me can hear me yelling in my head. God is asking me to surrender. . . on the inside. . . I'll let you know if He wins or not :)

Oh and something a bit less reflective. . . here are a few of my favorite titles in our Advent/Christmas library:

The Story of Christmas

The Crippled Lamb

Room for a Little One

No comments:

Post a Comment