Friday, October 26, 2012

Journal #2

Outside my window:

Colder still - here comes winter.  The car read 30 degrees this morning.  I had everyone in sweatshirts or jackets, but we probably should have busted out the winter coats.  I think it has warmed up some now as afternoon has hit.
 
Clothing myself:

Work-out pants, MS Bike-a-thon T-shirt, MS Walk sweatshirt.  (For the record, I was wearing jeans out of the house this morning, I changed upon returning in hopes of making myself feel better.  Every little thing helps sometimes.)
 
Around the house:

I keep cleaning and fixing one area/space/drawer/closet at a time, but I'm not sure I'm making headway.  With every space I clean/organize five more crop up somewhere else it seems.  But I keep trying!

The Baby:

Still cute is ever.  I love her so much and could just kiss and hug her all day.
 
The Kids:
It is neat to see Samuel and Jacob enjoy playing with each other as boys do - lots of jumping, running, and noises.  It was not long ago that Samuel ONLY really played with Rebekah and just tolerated Jacob.  He definitely sees him as more of a playmate now.
 
In the Kitchen:

I've been trying to fill my freezer.  Last time I cooked taco meat, I quadrupled the recipe and it has been a life-saver!  I will definitely do that again.  Yesterday I made waffles and I usually make a quadruple batch of those and then eat off of them from the fridge for the next week.  This time I purposely put a meal's worth in the freezer for later.  Baby-steps.

Crafting:

I finished Rebekah's slippers.  (And wow, was it easy - I should have done it weeks ago.  I just used a crochet hook and that worked great.)  I have now started a dishcloth (with praying hands) in hopes of having it done to use as a Christmas present.  I'm on row 11 of 65 rows.  If I keep at it I can easily finish in time, and maybe make a few more if it turns out well.
 
Homeschool:

Rebekah and Samuel are getting the "school thing" figured out. They know what to expect and are beginning to grasp what is expected of them. I think I expect a little too much from Rebekah (as she really enjoys being "spoon-fed" her studies now and again) but all in all I have no complaints.

Reading:

Some days I soak up my Scripture reading and other days I force it down, but I know it is good, so I keep trying.

I'm a few paragraphs ahead in my catechism.  I used to read it 15 minutes a day in college.  I love reading the catechism.  It never gets old.

I should start a fiction novel to "relax" again, but I have trouble letting myself do this when I have so many GOOD non-fiction books that I SHOULD be reading.  Anyone else have this problem?

Entertainment:

Gordie and I have started watching a TV series called Warehouse 13.  It originally aired on the Science Fiction channel.  (We are catching it on Netflix.)  It is pretty good - entertaining, but light-hearted with some good humor.

Bringing me joy:

My husband got a new job!!  It is only a little more money, but I think it is an important "next step" in his career path.  It is difficult as we do not like change, but we are hopeful and grateful to God for blessing us.

Thinking about:

Being sick.  It is a real challenge for me to not abuse being sick by being grouchy and short-tempered and for me to allow myself to take a break (even just letting the dishes pile up or the room get messy).

Bible verse:

But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord help me."  (Matthew 15:25)

Pictures to share:
Miriam peacefully sleeping in "my spot."


Here are "the slippers" I made for her.  She likes them a lot.
Rebekah, being creative.
I came up to find this one morning.  I love these boys!  (For the record, the red marker on the wall has been there a while.  It happened on Gordie's watch and I leave it there to mock him - and because it is not high on my priority list to remove.)

4 comments:

  1. So will your hubby still work from home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, he will not. He will work for our local hospital, doing computer trouble-shooting for the tech department. I am very excited for him as I think this is what he is best at and there is something more satisfying in working for a hospital, as compared to helping people fix their Direct TV!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Congrats to him and your family on the new leaf then!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new job!! And way to go on freezer cooking, I really admire that. Sounds like you are homeschooling pros now ;)

    ReplyDelete