Monday, April 22, 2013

Rebekah's First Holy Communion

Rebekah received her First Holy Communion on Sunday.  We are so happy for her and this milestone in her life.  Everything went well and then we enjoyed many friends and family members, along with BEAUTIFUL weather afterward.  God really blessed us!

This is the dress Great Aunt Rosie made for my first communion.
 
 
 
With Mamma
With Daddy (serious face)
Big Smiles (I think we were in the middle of laughing at Daddy.)
 
As I am sure you are just DYING to hear about my cake-making woes, I will be sure to share the story here.  As you might recall from a past post about Paul's birthday I long ago came to the conclusion that although I can make a yummy tasting cake, I really should probably leave the decorating to the professionals.  Well, I considered having a cake made, but. . . I have been gradually cutting out processed food and other things that are generally not good for us.  Traditional cake is FULL of things that are "not good for us."  So I made my usual "nutri-cake" but as for the decorating. . . well, I used store-bought frosting.  I did read the label.  This one had plain sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. . . as if that one little change makes all the difference, but hey it is something and you have to start somewhere!!  I should have just made my own.  I have all the ingredients, but I have never been very successful at it.  My frosting is usually runny, or the wrong color, or tastes funny, etc, plus I had a LOT of other "irons in the fire" this weekend and I knew my limits.  Making frosting got cut for time reasons - heck, I barely had the cake finished before the reception!  Anyhow, as I was venting my decorating dilemma (not being able to, basically) to my good friend, Kendra, she pumped me full of 10-million (seemingly) complicated ideas.  But this one, baking a cake and cutting it into a cross shape, seemed actually possible, so I tried it.  It really was not so bad, but then I tried to frost it with "whipped" frosting (I missed the "whipped" part when I bought it - read the label on the back, picked it because it had 15% more! than the others - but missed that it was "super fluffy") and it just slopped off and all around.  It really made a royal mess of the cake. (Notice how I am so quick to blame all of the cake's flaws on the frosting?)  Finally, I admitted defeat at about 10pm and ran to the store for more frosting (NOT WHIPPED).  I put on a small quick coat before bed and then tackled another the next morning.  The "whipped" frosting underneath was still doing SOME sagging (I probably should have scraped it off before doing the second coat with the correct frosting - live and learn), but by this point, the saggy, mound-like cake and I had bonded.  So I threw on the candy letters (hey, I finally learned my limits - no free-handing letters) and called it good.

 
 
 
We love you, dear Rebekah, and are so happy that you have taken this step in your life!!  We pray you have MANY MANY more communions with God here on Earth until you may be happy with him in heaven forever!

1 comment:

  1. Next time, put your cake in the fridge for about.25-30 min & then microwave your frosting for about 10-15 sec (& then stir it well with a butterknife) wen you have the cake out of the fridge and.ready to frost. Apply with said butterknife. Works like.a charm. Every time. Don't worry if the frosting seems a lil runny. It will set up quickly as it cools.

    ReplyDelete