Saturday, August 17, 2013

Journal #14

Out My Window:

It is dark now. . . but it was a BEAUTIFUL day.  It was a good mix of cloudy and sunny and thinking about rain, but not too humid, not too hot, not too windy, just beautiful.

Clothing Myself:

Lady Tiger Basketball tank top (from a camp in high school - lol), gym shorts, and I still have my gym shoes on as I just snuck in a work-out this evening.  I really need to shower and get ready for bed (as it is 10pm) but I have the post-work-out-buzz that has me in love with the world and my life and bubbling over with eagerness to tell you about it all!

Around the House:

We rearranged the girls' room a few weeks ago as we got some water in it (due to a few random, yet unfortunate circumstances, but we are fairly certain we have fixed the problem for good).  I REALLY like the new set-up and I might have to come back here tomorrow and add a picture (as I cannot go take one now since the kids are sleeping).  Rebekah is really pumped about it, too.  For a while (a couple weeks) we had all five kids in one room.  It actually was not as bad as I had feared.  The baby surprised me the most by seeming to really enjoy her siblings shenanigans (and then just lying down quietly - rather than throwing a major fit for her regular "routine" being off).  I think she might almost miss her brothers a bit now (but I also think she gets more sleep being just in with her big sister).  Rebekah was very vocal about how glad she was to be out of the boys' room, but she still complains about Miriam from time to time.  It is difficult to be the oldest and be the only one of her friends to have to share a bedroom I guess.  Perhaps when Daddy finds the time to build her loft bed we can find a place for it upstairs.  We shall see.

The Baby:

She is doing THE CUTEST thing ever right now (and it might or might not have been one of the major drives for this entire post).  

Tangent: It is funny how I am so much more observant of the behaviors of my later babies - I guess I know what to expect so I can enjoy it more instead of spending every moment freaking out that something is wrong or just flat out not knowing what to expect.

In any case, a few weeks ago, Miriam brought Gordie a pair of shorts (Paul's pj shorts to be precise - as he had left them out) and had Gordie help her put them on.  Boy she was sure pleased as punch to be wearing those shorts over her clothes!!  And since then she has had a thing for shorts and pants.  I find it entertaining as being the second girl after three boys, I have, of course, been putting her nothing but dresses and girly frilly clothes.  But now she seems to want pants!  And she does not just want them, but now SHE wants to put them on.  She has claimed a pair of Paul's pj shorts and wears them to bed.  And SHE PUTS THEM ON HERSELF!!  So adorable.  I can hardly believe how my baby is growing up :)

The Kids:

Paul is going crazy right now.  He is like a little Tasmanian devil.  SERIOUSLY!!  He can cause SO MUCH CHAOS and has NO CONSCIENCE about it AT ALL.  For example: the other day I made a meal for a friend who had just had a baby.  For dessert I had made a pan of brownies earlier in the day and put them on the back porch (enclosed, door shut) to cool.  Paul found them and helped himself to a fourth of the pan.  When I saw the pan I found him and sure enough his face was covered in chocolate!  And all he did as I raged was giggle and ask for more!!  In my little temper tantrum I might or might not have said something to the affect of: "NO BROWNIES FOR PAUL, EVER AGAIN!!" and my dear sweet Rebekah decided to immortalize the moment by drawing a picture of the event.


In general the kids are really doing great.  They play, the disagree, they love each other, they learn patience and lately, they have been behaving pretty well in church, too!! (Other than the baby, but she is just A BABY you know.)

In the Kitchen:

I do not really have anything new to add here.  I am cooking and we are eating.  Some meals are better than others.  Some days are better than others.  I continue to try and cut out the processed food and go more organic/natural, etc but I try not to have a heart attack when that does not happen and just roll with the punches.  I recently made Jacob's birthday cake: Blueberry Butter Cake and MAN it looks/smells AMAZING!!  It is unhealthy as all get out, but it is going to taste great for his birthday tomorrow.  I also whipped up some whole wheat carrot and apple muffins for breakfast (which are full of healthy stuff like raw sugar, real butter, applesauce, and coconut oil).

Crafting:

I'm not sure that it counts, but I finally have gotten to some of that GIANT mending pile.  I'm not really a seamstress or anything, but I do do a little hand-stitching here and there and it definitely keeps pillows from the trash heap and many clothes from being passed on.  I recently fixed a t-shirt of mine (had gotten a hole right on the seam in the armpit) and it makes me happy as it was one of those that "fit just right," you know?

Learning:

Our homeschool year is going to "officially" begin on August 26 and I am super-duper EXCITED!!  This year I am planning to wrap up our new school supplies and a few fun new education games and toys that I have collected.  The kids are not expecting it, but I think it will become a tradition for us as I imagine they are going to remember it well.  I have been cleaning and organizing in our "schoolroom" (which we call "the study") and it is ALMOST where I want it to be.  I need to get some copies made and our schedule figured out and we will be good to go. Just thinking of the joy I get while working with the kids makes me smile.  God is so good to us :)

Reading:

I have actually been reading the Chronicles of Narnia again.  My daughter is reading them and I want to be able to discuss them with her (as it has been a while since I last read them).  I am in the middle of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe now (but I started with The Magician's Nephew).  Rebekah is ready for A Horse and His Boy.

Bringing Me Joy:

*Working out!  I am finally "finding my groove" and just having a good time exercising.
*My baby.  She is so cute and I could just smile at her and make her giggle ALL DAY LONG.
*My sweet children.  They really are my world and I LOVE when they do something unexpected that just melts my heart or makes me laugh (in Paul's case, the laughter usually comes later. . . after the initial yelling, but eventually, the laughter comes :)
*My awesome husband.  Seriously, I definitely "got me a good one!"

Thinking About:

Going to bed. . . it is way late for me and getting enough sleep is tough!  And I still need to shower - LOL! :)

Bible Verse:

Let all that you do be done in love.  - 1 Corinthians 16:14


Pictures To Share:


Miriam is walking with a friend here.  Kayden was such a perfect gentlemen around her.


"Look at me!!" - Paul


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post and it made me smile for you. I've been having a rough time around here lately. I don't know, I think I need to let go and trust God more or something, but I just feel like my life is nuts, my kids are nuts, etc. etc.

    I need to find a workout groove. That would entitle actually working out though, soooooo....

    ReplyDelete