Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Work-out review of Cathe Friedrich's "Pyramid Upper and Lower Body" DVD.

Today I will review Cathe Friedrich's Intensity Series: Pyramid Upper and Lower Body.

This is definitely one of her "older" DVDs but it is a SOLID work-out.  It is a "stand alone" video, too, thus, if you are wanting ONE video that will seriously work your arms and/or your legs (both work-outs are on this DVD and you can do one or the other or there is a premix for BOTH), this is IT!  You pick three weights for each exercise.  I always go down from my max, so for example, I can crank out 8 reps of bicep curls at 20 lbs, so that is my max weight for that exercise.  So I start two increments down (for my weight system, that is a ten pound weight with a 1.5 lb hand-weight on my wrist - hey I do not have 12 lb dumbbells yet, so I improvise).  So you begin with 12 reps at your lightest weight (11.5 lbs for me), then you do 10 reps with your middle weight (15 lbs for me) and then 8 reps with your heaviest weight (think as heavy as you can lift for that exercise - 20 lbs for me).  Then you go back down with 10 reps of your middle weight and 12 reps of your lightest weight.  Then you move on to the next exercise.  It is a tried and true formula.  She keeps it moving (I often have to hit pause to get my weights situated as she does not wait!) and the music is peppy (although definitely reflective of the decade it was produced). I try to do this video (once for arms and once for legs) at least once a week. 

 Tip: Keep a notebook handy to write down what weight you used for each exercise as there is a lot of switching going on and it gets tough to remember.

Pros: Solid work-out.  I ALWAYS feel this one.  As I said earlier it is a tried and true method.

Cons: Uses lots of different weight selections.  You could probably get by with just dumbbells for at least the arms portion and maybe the legs (depending how heavy you lift), but as you get stronger, it will require more equipment.

Intensity Factor: 8 out of 10 (assuming you really push yourself selecting the heaviest weight you can handle with good form)

Recommended Fitness Level: all (beginner through advanced - just start with weights you can handle and keep at it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment