Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Caught Off Guard

A while back I started making some changes in my home to reflect what I was learning about alignment and restorative exercise.  One of these such changes is our low table.


This is a photo from a couple months ago, but it shows the table well.  It does not reflect our current state (which is sans pillows at meals and with Zipporah not off on her own in the Bumbo), though, as I describe further on.


Now, let me begin by defending it from a non-alignment-nerd perspective.  This table is the largest we have owned thus far in our lives and it is really almost too big for our space.  Although it is PERFECT for our family (as we have plenty of room to all sit and have our food on it as well - bonus!) if we had to put chairs around it, it would clutter up the main part of our house and we would constantly be walking around it (or into it) and I am sure I would feel as though I were constantly butting up against it.  As it is, having it low to the ground makes it much less intimidating to the overall feel of the room - it is much more open.  Likewise, the lack of chairs simplifies things and allows it to be placed quite close to the wall (especially considering it is mostly just the children that sit on the far side by the wall).

I must add here that I did not anticipate these benefits when asking for the table to be prepared and placed as such (with shortened legs).  And only recently have I truly "cleaned up" the space by outlawing pillows at the table during meals.  Let's be honest, the children do not require pillows to sit comfortably on the floor - even on hard wood.  Even I can manage to sit on the hard wood floor for that amount of time with little distress.  So the pillows were really just getting in the way (and getting soiled covers - repeatedly).  Thus, although I still have pillows "floating about" we do not use them for meals (unless I am nursing the baby during - I usually sit on a pillow so I can relax more while nursing).  Now we do (or at least I do) use the pillows at the table during the day for our school work or other activities, but the kids often just forgo them altogether.

I should also note that we did not transition from pillows to no pillows cold-turkey.  I picked up some cheap little foam mats that can easily be wiped clean.  They are a little sparse for adult use, but the kids appear to find them acceptable.  And they stack nicely in a pile (or can be put under the table) when not in use!

So back to the topic at hand (and heading toward what has caught me off guard).  Zipporah has been sitting in her Bumbo chair for meals (as we got her a little tray that attaches and since she is so small she still fits quite well).  Now she sits up well on her own (though she still does not get there on her own - that is a post for another day) so I have started simply setting her on the floor by the table for meals.  I can feed her (for those messy, difficult-to-eat foods) or she can feed herself in this position.




What caught me off guard was the feeling of having her at the table with us.  She is truly part of the family.  Normally "baby" would be near the family during meals, contained in a high chair - often pushed somewhat away from the table, simply because there would be no room.  Now, perhaps because of the table, or perhaps because Zipporah is so special (as she is not crawling all over yet - so she actually sits by us for meals and does not go around being a general nuisance - as I imagine a "typical" one-year-old would do, stealing from his/her siblings plates or running off).

In addition, she has started showing interest in MY breakfast and I have started making more (I usually have scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, avocado, tomatoes, and salsa) and simply feeding her from my plate.  It creates a bonding between us that I did not expect.  She sits beside me.  She eats with me.  It is really sweet.  I am so thankful for God having her develop as she has or I would have missed this.  Likewise, I am thankful for these crazy new habits I have been forming that led me to the low table which has been such a blessing for us.


Zipporah munching a "breakfast cookie" while she waits for me to bring the main course to the table and join her.

No comments:

Post a Comment