Tuesday, July 7, 2015

7 Quick Takes - I try to do things as complicated as possible :)

1) I made a new chore chart.



It looked really simple and easy.  But once I got all the kids on it (I cannot make each kid their own and hang it on the doorknob to their bedroom because they all sleep in the same bedroom! - ok, two bedrooms for the lot, but still.) it got really "busy" and is not as cool as I had hoped.  I might need to "break it down more" but I am REALLY TRYING here as I know learning to pick up and do chores is important.

Each kid gets their own color on the end - some chores are every other day for the same chore (they rotate, one one day and one the next) so that has two colors.  Psychotically complicated, but the kids would forget their own names before they would forget to do the calendar.



2) I made a new rewards chart. 

The kids are constantly asking what they "get" for doing their chores.  And although in the past I may have tried the answer "you GET to be a member of the family, blah, blah, blah," let's be honest.  That does NOT motivate the kids to do what they are supposed to do!  So, I made this little beauty and figure after 10 days of doing their chores I will "reward them" in some way.  Right now I am sitting on a well-stocked "prize bucket" from encouraging Jacob to read this past year, so there is that, or I figure I will barter with them - staying up late, special dessert, getting to pick a movie, or what we have for dinner.  I will just "spoil them" a little is what I figure.  I am CONSTANTLY trying to "toughen them up" (especially in the summer when they seem so lazy) so this is an opportunity to for "Mom to be nice" I figure (which is what I REALLY WANT to do all the time, but I DON'T DO because I really love them MORE and want WHAT IS BEST - which I know won't come from being nice all the time).

There are 10 beads to move - doing all your chores by the end of dinner (as cleaning up after dinner is part of chores) will allow a bead to be moved.  Once all move, the "reward" is negotiable.


3) I just signed my kids up for Lego Club Magazine.

I figure this one does not need much explanation.  Funny it took me so long.

4) The end of our school work is definitely in sight.

Rebekah put forth a VALIANT effort to finish her school work by her birthday.  In any case, she should be done by the end of this week - or next if she drags it out and her brother, too (as he has all of one assignment left - a presentation - he is half-ready to give - but my heart is not in helping him at the moment as he is in 2nd grade!! - A presentation, REALLY?!?! - once I find his notecards again we will finish it up, really. . . )  Either way, I am grateful to finally have it not hanging over our heads and to be able to be bums or do some of the fun "extra curricular" stuff I had "planned" to do over the summer.  

5) Marriage is the topic lately.

In the Catholic circles especially the topic of marriage, what it really means, etc, is on fire right now and I just had a talk with my daughter about it today.  We did a "walk and talk" - where we go for a short walk and chat - and I decided I needed to bring it up.  We discussed the true definition of marriage and I explained what was going on legally and what we felt about it as Catholics.  I felt it was important for my daughter to know so she would not be caught off-guard.  She took it well.  She is still so form-able - even at age 10 - but it makes me happy to hear her answer back exactly what I told her with pride.  She heard me, let's pray it sinks in and sticks for when she really needs it.

6) Since you are so nosy, here is mostly what I said to her. . . 

*Marriage is the joining of one man and one woman.  (Which she knew - I asked her who could get married - after a bit of defining what I was looking for, she got it.)

*The Sacrament of Marriage is conferred jointly - as each spouse confers it on the other - it is witnessed, usually by a priest, and often during the Mass.  (I felt it was important for her to understand this sacrament is administered by the laity.  And I wanted to emphasize that OUR marriage is religious - but people can be married and not be religious, it is the same "marriage" - we get grace from God through our sacrament, basically because we ask for it - others who are not sacramentally married do not receive that grace, namely because God will not force himself upon anyone.)

*I borrowed Trent Horn's definition of marriage as the comprehensive union (mind/body) of one man and one woman.  And went on to point out that there is no other relationship like it.  The man and the woman are incomplete on their own and they complete each other and work together toward a common good - having children.

*That is why marriage is recognized by the State because it is in the State's best interest for future citizens to be created and protected.

*Then I told her our government has made it "legal" for people of the same gender to marry, but she immediately caught on and said, "but it is not REALLY a marriage."  (Smart girl.)  And we discussed why.

*I explained I just wanted her to be prepared for what was out there and to be able to understand why we believe what we believe.

*Finally I cautioned her in addressing the matter directly with those behaving openly in a fashion we do not uphold as although we are called to speak the truth in love, we should do so with a tender grace and mercy, with true compassion and understanding - never in fear, anger, or just to be mean.  And even if she did not intend such things, this is an emotionally charged issue that could easily offend others or be misunderstood.

***I probably did a bang-up job of explaining all this, but this was the first of many talks we will most likely have on this topic and many others.  And I will explain it to the rest of the kids, too - but I started with Rebekah because it helps that she already knows many details about what Christopher West calls "the one flesh union."

7) Rebekah requested fruit pizza for her birthday last week.

It was DELICIOUS :)





4 comments:

  1. We just signed up for Lego magazine too!!!!

    Great convo with your daughter!! My son, five, was just talking about his friend the other day who he likes a lot and asked why boys can't marry beachcomber and I simply said that God made men and women to complete each other in marriage and we aren't meant to marry someone who is also a boy etc and for five I thought it was a pretty good conversation. I may reference this post if it comes up again with Gemma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eachother. marry eachother, not beachcomber. HAha, stupid auto-correct. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have it covered, Monica. I think the heart of the matter is making sure our children understand (at a level they are able to comprehend) how marriage works. To me it is all about understanding what marriage actually is, to be able to see what it could not be. The catch is that I fear many Catholics have never stopped to think about what marriage really is - instead they hear the phrases like "love wins" and "they have a right to be happy, too" - which are really generic and are not the issue at all. Love everyone!! But only have sex with your spouse, in the way God intended, with the potential to bring forth children. That is the heart of the marital relationship.

    ReplyDelete