Friday, July 31, 2015

Happy Birth Month, Rebekah!!

My oldest daughter is TEN YEARS-OLD now!!  Excuse me while I have a moment.  It definitely feels like she has been around that long, but at the same time, it sounds so old when I write it or talk about it.  Someone was so kind to point out that we are over half-way through her time with us (as parents - not that she will ever not be our child, but the main influential part where she has to live and home and mostly do what we say) and that really gave me pause to think.  In any case, it is what it is.  And every time I think about my dear Rebekah, it only makes me love and appreciate her all the more.




*Rebekah LOVES to read.  This past year she had trouble completing her school work because she would spend all day reading books, everything from her brothers' literature books to the dictionary.  If it looked interesting I would find her nose in it.

*She is very into nature.  She loves to collect leaves, twigs, dirt, etc and put them together in artsy creations (or just fill the house with them to drive her mother nuts. . .I think).  She also gets personally upset when I mow the lawn (as she likes the grass and weeds tall) and refuses to help by sweeping up loose grass or moving toys off the lawn.

*Rebekah enjoys walking with me and doing other restorative exercise stuff - like stretches, etc.  She also is encouraging of me doing crazy things like lowering our table, sitting on the floor, and putting rings in the living room.

*Although she will wear a dress to Mass, she is EAGER to get on her "play clothes" and get dirty every day - a true tomboy in many ways.

*One of Rebekah's FAVORITE pastimes is to climb trees.  She is often sad when I ask her not to (as when it might damage the landscaping or set a bad example for her siblings).

Here she is up a tree with her sister Miriam (in front) and our neighbor (back left).


*I realize now, as some of my friends have several children, so I have a group to compare to, that God gave us an absolute treasure in making Rebekah our oldest child.  She is kind, patient, and willing to take time to care for siblings (even if I have to ask - she does not balk, she is obedient).  She also has a good sense of authority with them (they listen to her) and is quite responsible, with a good moral compass, as well.  She is at true gift to have as an oldest child.

Side Note:  The other day Rebekah was "watching" the kids while I was working out in the garage to prepare for a party and I asked her if she had any trouble (as I had just put the little kids to bed).  She said Miriam and Paul were unsettled so she read them another book and tucked them back in.  Then she told me Jacob "sneaked" upstairs, but she told him, "It is a disgrace to use sneaking to disobey your parents."  ---See what I'm saying??  She is such a blessing!



Dear God, thank you for the gift of our amazing daughter, Rebekah!  Please walk with her always and draw her ever closer to you, growing more virtuous and charitable all her days.  - Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment