Wednesday, January 18, 2017

7 Quick Takes: Things I want to Remember

Paul, nine-months-old.


1) Peter has been standing by himself!

He often pulls himself up on something, but then lets go and hangs out for several seconds. He started this just a few days ago -- the day before his 9-month-old mark. If he keeps this up, he will be the youngest to walk.


Miriam, pretending to be Mary and hold baby Jesus, while playing "Heaven."


2) Miriam is playing this game she made up, called "heaven."

She basically dresses up like Mary and gets her baby all swaddled and kneels down and looks at him. She used her giant stuffed pony as a donkey the other day. Zipporah joins in the fun, too. It's adorable.


Zipporah with her "veil" for playing "Heaven."

3) We implemented new chore charts today.

So far things are a little cleaner, but probably that is just because I stopped doing whatever I was doing to pitch in. We shall see how it goes when the kids have to pull the brunt of the burden.



4) Have I mentioned our family is on crazy diets right now?

Everyone tries to lose weight in January, right? Rebekah told me she wanted to do a Whole 30 with me because she had eaten so many sweets and stuff and it made her tummy hurt. So she and I are eating Whole 30. She says she feels better and hasn't even considered cheating, so I'm impressed.

Gordie is also trying to lose weight so he is doing the Ketone diet -- mostly because he doesn't like fruit or vegetables and you don't have to eat those for this diet to work. It is very similar to Whole 30 otherwise -- oh and he gets to eat cheese. He's lost maybe six pounds I think.

And the rest of the clan is still eating the regular fair because those are meals I know how to cook and bread/grains are cheap -- much cheaper than feeding everyone only meat and fruits and veggies.

This makes for a crazy kitchen, but we are persevering. And bonus, I've found a few Whole 30 recipes that don't break the bank and everyone can eat. Winning!

5) Work

I'm still trying to do random work. I've been writing for a blog (although horribly missing deadlines and having to redo things -- I'm still way new to writing for a specific audience -- as compared to here, which is basically my journal). But in any case, I'll give it a shout out here. Check out Mamma Tech for everything from kid stories and techy tips for moms to travel reviews and school break suggestions. I should have an article coming out soon about self-driving cars. So stay tuned for that.

I'm doing transcription work, as well. I finally broke down and invested in a subscription to the free software so I could upgrade and use foot pedals. This sped me up a little on the last job and I anticipate it helping me get must faster in the future. This kind of work does not pay super-great (nor does writing for a blog, for that matter) but the OCD part of me really enjoys it. And thus far, my mind has enjoyed it, too -- I get to relive snippets of people's lives and hear their stories. Granted, they are not always the best, or the most interesting, but it is entertaining! -- Even when I transcribed someone talking about the new steam pump distribution center. -- haha

P.S. Shameless plug for the company I do transcription jobs for here: Noble Transcription Service. They take all size jobs, from legal work to the average "Joe" wanting his spoken notes (say for a book he was writing) transcribed for reference. The owner is a married couple with a bazillion kids (okay, I can't remember how many, but I'm thinking they just had their ninth baby -- I know it's more than us). And he has been very good to work with.

6) We redid our Spiritual Plan as well.

Actually, shortly after the new year I sat down with the big kids and we went over what was expected from them and such. Together we made up a daily schedule, rules, and decided what spiritual practices we would do together each day. I'm hoping that having them help decide things will keep them motivated and responsible. We shall see how it goes.



7) Who picked 7 as an amount for this template??

Well, since I shared the Chores and Spiritual Plan, I might as well share the rules. Here's the rules the children came up with. I was impressed they decided to have a rule about speaking quietly. I thought I was the only one bothered by the noise!




No comments:

Post a Comment