Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Summer Planning

I have about two hours worth of work that I "should" complete in the next 30 minutes in order for the rest of my day to run smoothly.  So what am I doing about it?  Procrastinating, of course!  If I cannot do it well. . . I just might not do it!!  (I guess I'm still trying to find the balance between demanding a high standard and cutting myself some slack.)  In any case, as I procrastinate here I will tell you about my latest inspiration. . .

As I mentioned in my journal a while back, we have some activities planned for the summer (probably more than we need, but that is the way it always goes).  In order to help keep our family (and myself specifically) "on track" I made up the following little chart.




It is not perfect, but maybe it will remind me that this summer I have specifically committed myself to being accountable for the following:

*Scriptural study and/or spiritual reading  (How can I love someone I am not continuing to learn about and/or do not converse with daily?!?)
*Practicing/improving my piano skills
*Practicing/improving my foreign language skills
*Exercise (I'm a bit fanatical about exercise - I keep a strict schedule that needs not be recorded here as it is always on my mind!! - this is to remind me to be more active in general, especially with the kids - more bike rides, walks, spontaneous games of soccer, etc)

And while I'm on the topic of "improvement/planning" I will share that I have also decided to commit to the following:

Weekly hour of adoration: Wednesdays at 5:30pm (I get to miss "dinner duty" AND spend quiet time with Jesus - and the hubby agreed to it!! :)

Monthly confession (specific day to be determined at the beginning of each month).

I'm not really sure what has prompted me to these new-year's-like resolutions, but I feel strongly about them so here I go, diving in!  Don't worry, I will let you know how it goes :)

And for the children:
It is difficult to not keep "homeschooling" in the summer as there is so much good stuff to do!!  I figure we will try to "keep up" by doing two "schoolish" thing per day (for example reading and one other thing, like a worksheet, journal, and/or an educational game).  Spanish is not included in the "schoolish" things as language really needs to be practiced daily I think and piano I really want to hit hard now while there is time with few other things.  And the weekly virtue should fit into our daily prayer time. . . just need to remember to do it!

So there ya go.  Now, to get my 2-hours-of-stuff done in the next 20 minutes - hehe :)

2 comments:

  1. Monthly confession has been an amazing thing. I have recently started going to Adoration regularly and I LOVE it. I used to go daily in a former life.

    How do you incorporate the virtues with the kids? I have been thinking about that lately...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny, Monica, as I used to go to a daily hour of adoration, too!! And weekly confession. . . in a former life, that I sometimes (now that I have a growing family and NOT MUCH QUIET unless something is being destroyed) miss dearly!! Time to bring it back. And I really need to start taking Rebekah to adoration with me, too and maybe Samuel. I think they would totally "get it" (or at least "act appropriately" and not make my blood pressure skyrocket while I am there).

    For the virtues, we got flashcards and a poster from weechoosevirtues.com. It does not have a choice of Catholic version (the bible verses are put on the back of the cards), but I figure we will read the verses from our own bible. There are some catchy sayings and cool characters to enjoy. I figure it is a good place to start and then build on. ( http://we-choose-virtues.myshopify.com/collections/homeschool )

    ReplyDelete