Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year Intentions

Disclaimer: Most people have New Year's Resolutions.  However, I am not most people.  I am me and I like to have "New Year's Intentions" because these are things I INTEND to do.  I may not do them perfectly.  I may not do them consistently.  But they are basically good ideas that I'm going to start giving a try.  And when I miss a day (or a month) I might reread this post and remember these great ideas and try them again.

New Year Intentions for 2014


1) Get up on time (whatever time my particular schedule for the next day specifies).  

This is an odd intention for me, as I am very-much a morning person and normally getting up in the morning is really not a big deal (in fact, I have had to MAKE myself NOT GET UP early before because I was getting too little sleep and making myself sick).  But, being pregnant, sleep (especially sleep in the morning hours) is so much more attractive and often irresistible.  Keep in mind, though, I'm not planning on getting less sleep.  I intend here to try and be responsible and get to bed on time so I can get my sleep and still start my morning off well, too.

2) DAILY PRAYER TIME. . . I'm not sure I really need to even mention this.  

As much as I love God and all, for the past several years (pretty-much since having kids) I have struggled to get that prayer time in.  Now, there is ALWAYS prayer in my day.  I pray as I work, make the meals, clean the kids, teach the school, clean the house, etc, but I know it is important to fuel my brain for better prayer and my conscience through my understanding of the faith (if that makes sense) so I need to make time to read my bible and my catechism (and/or possibly another spiritual book) and reflect on them in order to continue growing intellectually and keep that treasure of information "on hand" so the Holy Spirit can pull it out when I need it!

3) Wash the dishes. . . NOW!  

I'm sure you all have "those dishes" that for whatever reason do not go in the dishwasher.  Maybe they do not fit, or they are fancy, or delicate, etc.  I have my fair share (probably I hand-wash more than I need to) and lately I have been LAZY letting them pile and clutter my kitchen, making cooking more difficult and frustrating (as I have very little counter-space as it is!) and I'm hoping to put a stop to it.  From now on I intend to stop putting off this chore.

4) Set weekly fitness goals.

Obviously, since I'm expecting, I'm not exactly dieting to lose weight (although a pound or two now and again would not bother me a bit) but that does not mean I should not be fit, eat well, drink enough water each day, get my exercise, etc  I'm setting these goals weekly as that seems to work best.  I usually can manage something for a week and then, if I do not die from it, I often can tackle it again, or shoot for something else.  This week my focus has been to NOT EAT OUT (mostly because it is expensive, but also because I eat TOO MUCH and it is way less healthy than what I would come up with to eat at home) and to make sure I get my daily intake of water. (I have determined - a bit optimistically - to drain two jug-fulls per day and my jug holds 64 oz.  This is probably more than I need, but I would rather error on the safe side for my active lifestyle.)

5) Offer up more stuff!

I have only recently figured out exactly how to "offer things up" and man it is powerful and seems to make those struggles so much easier to handle!!  But I just forget to do it.  Instead I tend to let all those little minor annoyances eat at me until I'm about ready to blow up (or sometimes I actually do - especially at the kiddos. . . /sigh) or just am so stinking crabby. . . well, it is just a not a pretty sight.  I do not do well to try and ignore my struggles, but offering them up. . . well, everything is better with God's help and He can handle my honesty.  I'm not making this stuff up!!  For example, one look at my legs would show you my beautiful (and often painful) varicose veins and even my hubby grumbles sometimes at how long it takes me to get those silly compression tights on.  But rather than just being annoying, this is a chance for more grace, just gotta remember to approach it with the right attitude and tap into the blessings.

And a random picture of a cool castle.  Enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment