Friday, June 5, 2015

7 Quick Takes for Friday

1) I rearranged the kitchen.

A while back I had purchased a tall cabinet for the kitchen because I do not have lots of cabinet space.  Unfortunately the cabinet did not fit well (as poor planning on my part not realizing there was a window and a vent in the way of where it was supposed to go) and even though it had been in the kitchen for several years I recently concluded (with the help of a boldly commenting husband) that it was not such a great piece of furniture to have there.

The most obvious solution would be to remodel the kitchen, which is on the "to do someday" list, but at the moment time and money are short for this project.  Instead I moved in two pieces of "furniture" that Gordie had picked up at one of his work auctions (thankfully his work is always auctioning off stuff to employees as they continue to update and expand).  So now I have a new wooden cabinet (on wheels) and a metal cabinet (not exactly elegant, but SOLID).  They definitely get the job done and I like having the window again.  The kitchen is much more open and inviting this way.

Side Note: I would have SWORN I had a picture of the kitchen like this - at least in the background of something else, but alas, I have looked for a good 15 minutes and come up with nothing, so just trust me, it is better now.


I was waiting to take a picture until it was clean, then it dawned on me that would probably never happen while the kids are home!  So ignore the mess and enjoy the concept of an open window in the kitchen.

The metal cabinet.  Not exactly glamorous, but very sturdy!!  We had the old dishwasher her and I was waiting for Gordie to fix it and apparently Gordie thought I was just keeping it for storage!  Minor miscommunication! - LOL

2) Rebekah made a Lego chess set.






Paul received a Lego Ideas book for his birthday (from his brother, Samuel, actually) and a chess set was one of the ideas.  I think Rebekah did a great job.

3) We recently picked up another bookshelf at a local dorm sale.




This has allowed me to put our "educational" toys in closer reach (out in the front room, rather than tucked away in the study) and the middle shelf has our current school books.  

4) We got rid of another couch.

The TV room couch finally sold and now we have cushions on the floor.  I think they are more comfortable.  They potentially seat more - as we have LOTS of cushions!  They can potentially be moved anywhere, and they make awesome forts!  Winning all the way around in my opinion!



5) Gordie is in the local community theater summer production of Legally Blonde.




6) White boards keep my children happy for hours.

Seriously, the boys played with those things ALL DAY yesterday!  They seem to never get old.

7) School work.

Yep, we still have some school work here to finish up. Rebekah hopes to be done by the end of June.  Samuel could be done in about three days if he hits it hard.  Just a few things to finish up.  But then next week I am planning to start implementing "daily work" for Jacob (a math worksheet, a writing worksheet, and reading one book to Mom) and I have a learning Latin program (with DVD presentations - so no work on Mom's part) that Rebekah wants to try.  Also, we have a chemistry book we were working on last summer and all the kids are eager to get back to that - especially the experiments.

Happy Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment