Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Collecting my thoughts and making a plan

Yesterday I realized that Rebekah is going to be bringing home "homework" on a regular basis and we are going to have to start finding time to get it done (other than the last-minute dash way that really steals the fun out of things). So it is time to re-work the schedule. I am hesitant to schedule because of three main reasons:

1) I don't want to feel like I can't be spontaneous and follow where the moment leads.

2) I don't want to feel like I am somehow deficient just because we can't quite keep our schedule.

3) When I sit down to put together a schedule I get frustrated because there really IS NOT ENOUGH TIME in the day to do all the things I think need to be done and I have a difficult time allowing myself to believe I cannot do everything I think is important.

Anyhow, I really like the book A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot. Unfortunately I cannot find my copy (must have lent it out and not gotten it back - but I can't remember who I lent it to). In any case, I remember the general parts so I guess I'll have to get started on what I can remember. I believe my biggest goal will be not trying to put TOO MUCH into the schedule. And I'm going to try breaking down my chores a bit more, too. I'm thinking that rather than saying I will clean both bathrooms today, I will instead shoot for cleaning the mirrors one day, the sinks the next day, the toilets another day, etc. Hopefully, this much smaller, more manageable task will be easier for me to stick to and actually do (as it has been lately I have not gotten to cleaning the bathrooms as often as I should simply because the task is a little overwhelming - it seems like the baby cannot sit by himself for more than five minutes at a time!!)

So, be on the look-out for my new battleplan. I'll be sure to post it here when I get it finished -hopefully in the next week or so.

Also on my to-do list is to make a master list of my pantry and freezer. I think this will help with my grocery shopping (so I will know exactly what I have and don't have) as well as making sure nothing expires (as my new list will include expiration dates). I might post a copy of what I come up with if anyone is interested.

And my final chore is putting away clothes the kids have out-grown and digging through the tubs for my clothes for Paul, who, btw, is now wearing 12 month clothing (at 3 months old!) - this boy can grow :)

Ok, enough planning - time to start doing again (and the baby is awake finally, so I can put down my "anchor" for a few minutes, I hope :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, so as I was reading the first paragraph I was like, I am totally going to recommend "A Mothers Rule of Life" to her, and then I read the next paragraph. HA!! Great minds. I am just finishing it, and in fact, have a post scheduled for tomorrow about it (a little). Wow, what a book. LOVED it!!! I just spent some time developing a "rule" for our family (as I will blog). Remember, a rule isn't a "schedule" per se, so don't get caught up in that. I think the big thing I liked about it is it puts a place in my day for everything. Whether it gets done or not, I can physically keep track of things, rather than just mentally, and, I don't know, it just kind of helped to lay everything out. I split cleaning as well, I never clean everything on the same day. Way too much. And I know I really can't compare, because I only have 2 kids, neither of which are school-age, but I hear ya! Take some time and sit down with your schedule/rule, and I think you'll be surprised how pleasant things look once you're done.

    I really enjoyed reading this post.

    And thanks for your last comment on mine. I realllllly needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And along the lines of your "rule", I posted mine on the side of our fridge, and was wanting some prayers to offer as I went about our tasks. I found these online this morning (on an Orthodox Christian website actually, but I thought they jived fine with Catholicism ;-D) so thought I'd share. I think they're really good.

    PRAYERS BEFORE OR AFTER ANY TASK
    ++++++ Prayers Before Any Task ++++++
    Lord Jesus Christ, my God, You have said, "Apart from Me you can do nothing." In faith I embrace Your words, Lord, and I entreat Your goodness. Help me to carry out the work I am about to begin, and to bring it to completion. To You I give glory, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

    Almighty God, our Help and Refuge, who knows that we can do nothing right without Your guidance and help; direct me by Your wisdom and power, that I may accomplish this task and, whatever I do according to Your divine will, so that it may be beneficial to me and others and to the glory of Your holy Name. Amen.

    My Lord and Savior, You became man and labored with Your hands until the time of Your ministry. Bless me as I begin this work. Help me to bring it to completion. Lord, enlighten my mind and strengthen my body, that I may accomplish my task according to Your will. Guide me to bring about works of goodness to Your service and glory. Amen.
    ++++++ Prayer After Any Task ++++++
    Thank You, Lord, for Your strength and guidance in my work. You are the fulfillment of all good things. Fill also my soul with joy and gladness, that I may praise You always. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Monica - I LOVE THESE PRAYERS - just what I need right now! It is so easy to get caught up in what I think I need to get done, rather than what God wants me to be doing. And seeing it all as offering MIGHT help me be more understanding of the little interruptions from wee ones - the ones I find most inconvenient...

    As for the Rule - I know it is more than a schedule - but in my mind that is what it all breaks down to - figuring out what is important and making time for it. I have actually been keeping a loose rule/schedule for the past 3 or 4 years. I re-work it every so often. The trouble is that I cannot seem to get it quite right and being a perfectionist I have trouble being satisfied with something not quite right. (Don't worry, God is working on me in the perfectionist department - some day I might actually be cured :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I totally hear you on the perfectionist thing. we are all works in progress for sure. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) I don't want to feel like I can't be spontaneous and follow where the moment leads.

    Sounds an awful lot why some people say they don't want to use NFP ... and we both know it doesn't kill the fun in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah, Karen. I know I have heard that comment about NFP before, too, but I just don't buy it. To me, using NFP is really just about paying attention to your body. You can still be as spontaenous as you want - you are just more aware of EXACTLY what you are doing and what might result. When not used to prevent a pregnancy, it is used to achieve - so for a couple open to kids, but maybe now or maybe later it is a win win either way. At least that is how I look at it.

    ReplyDelete