Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Moby Wrap

I have been borrowing this Moby Wrap from a friend, trying to decide if I need to add one to my collection of carriers. Since I think in lists, I have been trying to decide if the pros are worth the cons and such. Unfortunately, even though I think in lists, I can't seem to remember the entire list in my head, so I figured I'd put it down here in case anyone else was considering a Moby Wrap (or has one and would like to add to the pros or cons I have listed). So, the following is my carrier review for The Moby Wrap.


Pros:

1) Very comfortable. The wide shoulders and tying it around the waist make this a very comfortable wrap to carry a baby in (even a heavy baby - mine is 20lbs+).

2) Baby is held quite securely. I feel very comfortable doing things and moving around without a hand on baby. I do not have this kind of secure feeling with any of my other carriers.

3) Baby's legs are not too far apart. This is an issue with another carrier I have, but obviously it is not an issue here.

4) Baby can be worn facing in, out, or on the back (facing in). I have not tried on the back, but I imagine it could be good (assuming I can figure out how to get the kid on there on my own). I have enjoyed both facing in and facing out positions. My only trouble with facing in would be that close proximity to certain parts of my anatomy tends to remind baby of his favorite past-time (nursing). I have also heard you can nurse in the wrap. (I imagine your baby would need to be a little smaller than mine for this to be done discreetly, but it does look promising.)

5) Covering baby in the carrier does not seem to be an issue (for winter and all). It is fairly easy to drape a blanket over him and tuck it in at key points, or just zip him into my jacket (as I tend to wear larger jackets anyhow).

6) This is a good carrier for a larger baby (like my 20lb lovebug). In front-pack carriers (like a snuggle or baby Bjorn), there are set sizes for baby, but this carrier naturally adapts to fit baby's size.

Cons:

1) It does take a minute or two to get yourself wrapped. I have not had too much trouble, but when every second counts (as it already takes us 30min to get ready to go ANYWHERE, this is one more thing to do before you leave).

2) Baby's face is kind of exposed (especially as it is coming on winter and of course, the wind blowing in any season).

3) It is kind of warm as there is a lot of fabric over you. With winter, this is not so much of a complaint, but I imagine it will get hot in the summer. Of course, I have yet to find a carrier that does not get hot in the summer. In fact, the very act of carrying extra weight on your frame is enough to make your body warm up, so unless a carrier came with its own air conditioning unit it is going to make you warmer during use, end of story.

Price: Looks like roughly $40, depending on where you shop. I would list this under pros (as it does not seem unreasonable to me), but price is really a private issue, to be decided upon personally.

So there you have my review. It looks like I am more in-favor of it than against it. Do you have anything to add?

2 comments:

  1. i'm so blinded by the cuteness of your paul that all rational thought is absent. if that adorable guy wants it, give it to him ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, Mary, you are so sweet. I guess Paul does look like a little doll, doesn't he. I forget cause I get to enjoy his looks all the time! :)

    In any case, I have ordered said wrap and am hoping we have more children (later, of course) to enjoy it with, as well.

    ReplyDelete