Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Journal #7

Outside my window:

Sunny.  Probably upper 40s.  Rather warm for January 8, but I'm not complaining.
 
Clothing myself:

Franciscan University Lady Barons Hoodie. . . ahhh, I miss playing college basketball!!!  Jeans, wool socks, t-shirt underneath.

Around the house:

I moved Rebekah's desk back up to the study (where it originally parked when we got it from my Mom) after its brief visit to her bedroom downstairs.  "The Study" is now living its name as most of our "studying" is done there.  It also houses a lot of more educational toys and games.  It is very nice to be able to spread out and put one child at the kitchen table and another in the study.
 
The Baby:

When visiting Gordie's parents this weekend, they watched the baby (and all the kids) for us so we could have an evening and night without them.  That was nice, but my suspicions that our baby does not sleep well were confirmed. 
 
Side note: I always get up with the baby, but normally I barely let myself out of my sleepy stupor - not even to look at the clock (that would require finding glasses - time wasted I figure) - I simply get the baby and nurse her while falling back asleep.
 
Apparently the baby woke up every two hours while we were gone.  The first time she was INSULTED that she should be offered a bottle.  The second time she took it as though she had been bottle-fed all along.  (I knew she could do it.)  But Gordie's folks were none too excited about her frequent waking.  In her defense she had a little cough and snotty nose, plus her first tooth just broke that morning.
 
In other news, she has been saying "Ma, ma, ma" and referring to me.  She does the same for Gordie: "Da, da, da," with real purpose.  With the other kids I remember them saying the word Mom or Dad (or just Ma or Da) long before using the words to address us.  Miriam DEFINITELY is talking to us in particular - not just babbling these (although she does babble, too, I will note, but this is different).  And she has been doing this for about three weeks now.  I am most impressed!
 
The Kids:

While visiting Gordie's family we went to Mass at his hometown parish.  They were saying the Rosary when we came into the church.  Samuel and Rebekah both joined right in without being asked or prompted in any way.  Gordie was floored.  We do not usually pray the rosary before Mass at our regular church because we do not get there soon enough -hah.

I took Paul to the dentist today and he did great.  He is simply cuteness incarnate right now.  He comments on EVERYTHING and is so adorable about it!  He had his hygienist smiling from ear to ear.
 
In the Kitchen:

I am quite thankful for Christmas and I realize it is a time for celebrating, but I am sooooo ready for the all the sweets and treats to move on OUT of my kitchen. (and then perhaps for the extra 10lbs they put on my body to move off as well - grrr, I was doing so well before, too!!)  I'm back to basics again - sticking with what works.  I have taken to making my own bread (well, making the dough in the breadmaker and then baking it in the oven) and I prefer it hands down over anything store-bought.  And bread is a big deal to me as toast for breakfast is my favorite. I think I've eaten it every day for the past year at least (pending I was not sick - I probably skipped it on those days).

I'm still hoping to get Gordie more involved in the cooking.  It is difficult as he often gets off late (because he likes his job - not because he has to stay extra to make them happy), but Gordie is SUCH a GOOD cook, it seems shameful to not have him using his talent.  I think perhaps he needs more nagging more encouragement.
 
Crafting:

I am working on a scarf for my mom.  Yes, it was supposed to be for Christmas.  I am on the 5th repeat (of 18. . . /sigh).  On the bright side, I really enjoy it and am impressing myself being able to do the fancy cable pattern.
 

Learning:

I made up a graph of all the work I want each child to cover for the rest of the year.  I figure each time they complete a lesson (or page - or whatever I think constitutes a "chunk"), they color that box in on the graph.  I am a visual person, so this makes me happy and I hope it motivates them to "press on!"
 
 
 
 We just started "school" again today.  Rebekah is eagerly jumping into everything.  Samuel is grumbling and wanting to play with his toys.  Hopefully we can get "rolling" on a regular schedule this week so next week will be smoother.
 
Reading:

Christopher West just put out his new book, Fill These Hearts: God, Sex, and the Universal Longing, today.  I got it on Kindle and hope to give it a look or two if I can find time - perhaps while nursing the baby tonight.  I know, what a waste to buy a NEW book when I have five million VERY GOOD books on my shelf to read, but I like Chris West A LOT so I consider it a donation to a very good cause and even though this book probably says the same thing he says in his commentary on JP II's Theology of the Body (which I am also in the process of reading -haha) this book is shorter and perhaps he says it a different way.  And why do I feel I need to justify this purchase to  you anyhow?  :)
 
Entertainment:

Still on Warehouse 13.  It has gotten more action packed but remains humorous at some points and of course the characters interact well.  We tried watching some Eureka, but neither Gordie or I are much impressed with the half a dozen-or so  episodes we have seen so far.  I stumbled onto Downton Abbey on Amazon prime and found it mild but intriguing.  I survived the first season (usually putting it on while I fold clothes or when the hubby plays games).  Apparently the most recent season is even better as many of my friends are talking about it on facebook.  We shall see if I make it that far.
 
Bringing me joy:

*Snuggling the baby.
 
*Samuel telling me he would rather do school at home with me than go to the building.  (And yes, I told him I really wanted to know which he preferred - not that I would send him off to school purely on his opinion to go, but I do care what he thinks and am glad to know he would rather be home studying with the rest of us.)

*Walking my children to and from daily Mass. (Don't ask me why but this makes me so happy.  And they were pretty good today!!  Up until I had to drag Paul back to the pew after communion. /sigh)
 
Thinking about:

How I have trouble remembering what I was thinking about.  Seriously, does anyone else have this problem?  I will think a thought and not quite finish it, but suddenly it will be GONE.  Am I going crazy or just getting old?

Bible verses:

So you also, when you have done all that you were ordered to do say, "We are worthless slaves; we have done only what we ought to have done!"  (Luke 17:10)
 
Those who try to make their life secure will lose it, but those who lose their life will keep it.  (Luke 17:35)
 
Pictures to share:

The kids all loved the Away in the Manger cookies we finally got around to making. . . on the 10th day of Christmas maybe? 

Samuel
 
Paul and Rebekah
We had some "dress-up" fun at our New Years' Day lunch.
 

1 comment: