Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Journal #8

Out my window:


Cloudy, windy, cold.  It was almost 60 degrees yesterday and today there is a 70% chance of snow.  Go figure.
 
Clothing myself:

Jeans, sneakers, black T-shirt.  (I REALLY need at least some new t-shirts or something, my wardrobe is really dragging me down lately.)

Around the house:

My house is feeling SERIOUSLY small.  Maybe I just have house envy as a lot of my friends have much more room!  In any case, I keep trying to thin the toys and get rid of any extra furniture, but it is still cramped.  I can hardly wait until Daddy gets the garage finished so we will have a big open space to run and be crazy.
 
The Baby:

A lot is happening for her right now.  She has been crawling a little backward for a while, but now she crawls forward (so daintily, I really enjoy it - she rocks a little, wiggles a little, and then moves her arms and legs (propelling herself forward), maybe two or three times and then lunges for what she wants and rolls over with it). 

I made her some bread - basically I made Focaccia bread, but left out the Italian seasoning and topping.  I called it the "bland bread" but we have all been munching on it.  She LOVES it.  I have also been making her these teething biscuits (well, kind-of this recipe - actually I just put in wheat flour and skip the other kinds of flour - but I cook it the same) and she likes those also, along with her Cheerios.  I have been giving her tastes of other food, but she really just wants a taste and that is enough for now.

Fell asleep enjoying the bread for the first time.
Her sleep schedule got off when I was quite sick for several days.  It was getting VERY difficult to get her to bed at night.  Finally, moving her bedtime earlier and a few minutes of crying (I'm not a big fan of the "cry it out" method, but she was nursed, she had a clean diaper, she  was tired, she needed to figure it out) for all of two nights and now she goes down like a champ.  I nurse her, I put her down, lightly asleep or awake but tired and maybe a squeak or two and then she is out.  She still wakes at least a couple times in the night, but we are moving in the right direction.
 
The Kids:

They have been really enjoying each other's company lately.  The olders want to rush through schoolwork so they have more time to play.

Also, they did pretty well at Daily Mass this morning.  We try to go once a week.
 
In the Kitchen:

I am plugging along.  Made some lasagna and some chicken noodle soup.  Tonight we have poor boy steaks.  I also did up some freezer food. 



We finally broke out the mini-donut maker that I got for Christmas.  The donuts were quite yummy for being whole-wheat and only maple syrup to sweeten!


They do not look that great, but this was our first run.  They actually tasted really good.  I liked the "plain" version better than the chocolate, but I think the kids liked both the same.
Crafting:

I am still working on the scarf for my mom.  Since I missed Christmas I have lost motivation and this is really on the back-burner right now.  But I have lots of ideas for other projects, so I really need to get on it, if for no other reason than to move on to other things.
 
Learning:

It feels like we are in the "home stretch" for the year.  I am pleased with how far the children have come and it is neat to be a part of it!  I still get concerned some days that we are not "covering enough" or some such.  I might break down and have them do a test that is sent in and graded, "just to be sure."  But before I do this I need to double-check we are keeping up with the local public school curriculum by grade (which they put on their website).  I tried to get to the curriculum earlier this year, but did not have a new enough version of whatever it was in (some fancy adobe reader or what-not).  Last time I was on the website it made me install the latest version, so if I ever make it back again I think I will be good to go :)  I really "feel" like my kids are average (or above) but I do not want to be "that family" that suddenly wakes up and has all of the kids a year or more behind.
 
Reading:

I am LOVING Christopher West's  new book, Fill These Hearts: God, Sex, and the Universal LongingThis book has REALLY made me stop and think.  An excellent read and reflection.  I even read some to Gordie and explained what I thought of it and he agreed it was some good stuff!
 
Entertainment:

We watched the last episode of Warehouse 13 and now I am so sad because this was such a great show.  I'm not sure when the next season starts - hopefully soon!  Other than Castle we are quite lost as far as entertainment.  We have watched a few episodes of Dr Who (from the first season - on Netflix) but it is a bit odd.  We were really into Battlestar Galactica before, but we are on Season 3 now and it is DEPRESSING!!  We are only have way through the season.  Supposedly it gets better, but now, it is a STRUGGLE to get through the episodes.  I think maybe we need another hobby besides watching tv. . . suggestions?
 
Bringing me joy:

New glasses!! 

These do not have front nose pads - the first day I got a headache as they were quite heavy, compared to my last pair - but now I am REALLY liking them as they are AMAZINGLY comfortable and practically impossible to get out of adjustment from being bumped.
*Snuggling with the kids to read books to them or have them read to me.
 
*Ice skating for my niece's birthday.  I LOVE ice skating.  If only it were closer.
 
*Visiting some long-distance friends.
 
Thinking about:

How much I love my husband, how grateful I am for our marriage, and how this all fits into/reveals God's amazing plan for us and the world in general.

Bible verses:

Be on guard so that your hearts are not weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of this life, and that day does not catch you unexpectedly, like a trap.  For it will come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth.  (Luke 21:34-35)
 
Let all that you do be done in love. (1 Corinthians 16:14)
 
Pictures to share:




 

1 comment: