Friday, January 4, 2013

Exercise Part 1 - General Overview

Exercise has been on my mind for a while now.  We recently rearranged my exercise room and I really wanted to share the pictures with the world.  I really want to encourage everyone to take time to exercise!!

The problem is that I cannot seem to get my thoughts in a good coherent order.  I have random-encouragement type of thoughts and then they drift into I-LOVE-CATHE-WORK-OUT-VIDEOS type of thoughts, and then back into reflective thoughts about my past work-out experiences and how I have changed and grown and what I have learned.  I guess I really have a lot to say about it, which is odd since I am really not all that old.

But before I get too much further, here is the lovely picture of my rearranged work-out space!!  It probably looks silly to you, but it makes me very happy.


Unfortunately I am TERRIBLE at before pictures.  I only think to take pictures after.  In any case, I post this to encourage others.  A lot of space is NICE, but not required.  This little corner of our utility room works quite well for me.  Note the computer and tv - I often put a DVD work-out video on the little tv and then stream a show or watch something else on the computer.  This way it is not so boring if I am doing a work-out I am fairly familiar with.  I think I get a better work-out when I do not do this, but if this is what I need to do to get it done, than I figure anything is better than nothing!
























Moving on. . . here are some RANDOM THOUGHTS ABOUT EXERCISE in the order I thought of them. . .

1) Did you know exercise releases happy hormones in your brain? (as does cleaning - another of my favorite activities)

2) Without regular exercise I seriously go a little crazy!  (I notice I lack patience, have more aches and pains, and often have trouble focusing on what I need to do.)

3) Exercise does not have to be intimidating.  Start at your level and just keep building.  If you miss a day, try again the next.  If you need a break, take it.  But keep coming back.  It is worth it!

4) Exercise does not have to be done in a gym.  You can do A LOT of exercise in your own home with little or no equipment!!

5) Exercise can be FUN!!  It might not be at first.  It might not ALWAYS be.  But it CAN BE, so keep that in mind.  Attitude is everything.  (As my dear Cathe says.)

6) My personal preference for exercise is videos done by Cathe Friedrich.  Ninety-nine percent of the exercise videos I own are by her (in other words, I have one video by Leslie Sansone and one that I purchased by Jari Love, but was so disappointed in it that I promptly got rid of it and have been a faithful "Cathlete" ever since). 

Side note: I have purchased a few of Cathe's DVDs and been disappointed.  Not every video is for everyone.  And perhaps.  . . maybe. . . not every Cathe video is absolutely amazing (as you would expect from a  work-out goddess like Cathe :) so be sure to read reviews and such to get what you expect and think will work for you.

7) I do plan to review some of my favorite Cathe videos at some point soon and post about it here.  (I'm sure you are anxiously awaiting that :)  I also got her new set of videos (XTRAIN) for my birthday (that I ordered for myself, of course) and so far I am LOVING those.

Another kind-of side note: I have a lot of "runner" friends.  My favorite form of exercise will probably always be long-distance running.  There is NOTHING like the "runners' high."  Running is great for prayer, reflection, contemplation, and relaxation (well, mental relaxation anyhow).  Unfortunately I do not find myself able to run much for many reasons: my body cannot take the pounding much anymore (hard on feet, knees, back), we do not have great trails or any such to run on nearby, and it is difficult to schedule time for this with a large family and young baby.  But perhaps one day I will be one of those "silver-sneakers" ladies that you see out and about. Hey, my 90-year-old Grandma still walks four rounds at the Mall every morning!!

So the moral of the story?  Get your daily exercise!  You will be so glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment