Monday, September 23, 2013

Rebekah's new dresser

Many moons ago. . . one of the drawers from Rebekah's current dresser (which was really quite small and pathetic) BROKE (and I mean, SERIOUSLY broke, as in there was no turning back, no hammer it back together, nothing - IT WAS DONE).  So she used three drawers and one hole (with one of those plastic baskets from Wal-mart in part of it - yes, we are pretty ghetto around here).  We just do not have the cash in our budget to replace her dresser with something really nice and new, so I was looking on our local want-ads, but I kept just missing good deals.  It was really frustrating.  Finally, I got fed up with waiting (and maybe I was getting a little grumpy with God, too) and snagged the following "beauty" the minute it popped up!!  Now, in my defense, the picture on the want-ads did not look "quite so grungy."  It was a bit less zoomed in and kinda blurry - but I assumed it was fine.  They were in a rush to deliver (coming to town the next morning!!) so even though we had another obligation I went ahead and set up for them to leave it on the porch and collect their money from the mailbox.  It all went fine but I must say I was less than happy with the immediate results.  It smelled (just a bit, but still noticeable) like smoke and was just "yucky looking."




What it looked like upon delivery. (Except that there was a handle on the third drawer - I had already started removing them before I remembered I should take a picture!)
It actually all turned out ok, I think, but I had to wait ANOTHER TWO WEEKS for the dresser to be completed (haha, God, you are so funny).  But Rebekah and I got to have a "girls' afternoon" were we went off to the hardware store and she picked out the lovely color (which Daddy affectionately termed "pepto-bismol-pink" and so that is how I shall forever think of it - thanks, Honey).  Then we stopped at the grotto by church to pray the rosary (her choice) and then topped it off by heading to the grocery store to pick up some things for dinner.  It was actually a lot of fun for just the two of us.

Slowly but surely we got the dresser fixed up.  First I removed the hardware and filled the holes (which turned out to be pointless as the new hardware ended up being the same size - haha) then I primed it with this awesome smelly primer that did not require sanding.  Then I let Rebekah help and we attacked it with color.  Over and over she kept saying, "Momma, this color is just SOOO GREAT!!  I am going to have THE BEST DRESSER EVER!"  (She was beside herself with glee.)  Two coats and we were doing good.  A couple more days and Daddy was ready to put on the new hardware.  And here the new dresser is in all her glory:



The inside of the drawers needed to be painted as they were a little smelly, too.  I thought of painting them pick, as well, but then I found a can of paint from the girls' room (it was painted purple when we moved in - but we had gotten another small can to make some repairs a few years ago) so we made the insides purple and I think that makes it "even more awesome" - seriously.

4 comments:

  1. Good job, mamma! I love finding fixer uppers (even though yours wasn't supposed to be a fixer upper) online and re-doing them--you guys did a great job!! I agree with Rebekah--that is the best dresser ever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks superb! I am really into things like this lately. I just made a stool out of a free cable spool from home depot, some clearance fabric, and a throw pillow. I just bought my first staple gun for this project --watch out, world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks superb! I am really into things like this lately. I just made a stool out of a free cable spool from home depot, some clearance fabric, and a throw pillow. I just bought my first staple gun for this project --watch out, world!

    ReplyDelete