Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent 2014

It is the night before Ash Wednesday and all through the house. . . Mom cannot find the Lenten cross.

I'm admitting defeat of "my plan" to do our traditional Lenten Cross (which we have done for a couple of years, now).  Although it is frustrating to be looking for something and not able to find it (as is the story of much of my life - my mom used to ALWAYS be losing things when I was a kid and I thought it was just because she had Multiple Sclerosis, but. . . now I know better.  It is a genetic trait and I have it, too!!) I am slightly relieved to not be doing this particular Lenten practice this year.  It is just so big and the Scripture verses can be long and difficult to explain to my younger children.  Really I wash each verse and picture had more of a mini-homily to go along with it and maybe a timeline or some way to connect all the parts would be nice.  (Honestly, I like this practice, but if I were to make it "perfect" and all. . .  :) )  Anyhow, since I cannot find my actual cross or the laminated pictures that go on it, I'm planning to use a book I picked up a couple of years ago, but was above my children at the time.  It is called A Family Journey with Jesus through Lent.  It looks pretty neat, now and I think my older kids will really get into it.  I figure we will put our candles (white ones now, to keep things simple) on the table and light them while I read it so the little ones have something to look at.




We are also doing a sacrifice jar for the kids to put a token in for each sacrifice they make.  (That would be the big empty jar in the picture above.)  In the past we have done a paper cross on the wall before and put flowers on it for "good deeds."  I also have made a crown of thorns out of dough, with toothpicks that we removed before, but again, removal was granted through "good deeds,"  and I have since run into trouble defining "good deeds," especially for multiple ages of children.  So this year we are using "sacrifice" as our terminology to help keep them focused in the right direction.  I think they have a general gist of what that word means.  I will leave it up to the kids to define it specifically, but here are some things I have in mind:

1) Giving up a toy for the day
2) Skipping a treat, or snack
3) Giving in to a sibling (letting them have a toy or choose the game, etc)
4) Work sacrifice (doing a non-required chore for no reward)
5) Prayer sacrifice (praying for someone or a special cause)

I plan to join them, in "sacrificing" in this manner. I figure this is kind of like a day by day resolution that is always changing.  I hope it will keep things "fresh."

I have some additional personal resolutions in mind, but I cannot seem to choose one or two or even three, and I'm sure there are too many for me to do them all every day, so I'm thinking I might list them all with numbers and roll dice to pick three or so a day.  (And being a "gamer" I have dice with up to 20 sides, so no worries about there being too many - hehe)  Here are my ideas for personal resolutions:

1) Limit facebook time (using a timer)
(I must add it is simply not feasible for me to cold turkey away from facebook.  Being home all day with the kids, it is my connection to other adults and the outside world.  Likewise, since I do not have a cell phone, it is often a necessary tool to connect with friends - and even my husband on important matters.)
2) Read the daily Mass readings for the day
3) Say the Office or Morning or Evening Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours 
4) Write a letter to a friend or relative
5) Wear a pair of shoes I do not like
6) Say a decade (or all) of the Rosary
7) Pray the Stations of the Cross
8) Pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet
9) Go to Adoration
10) Sing a Lenten song
11) Spend 15 minutes doing Spiritual reading
12) Spend 15 minutes reading my Catechism
13) Avoid sweets/chocolate/dessert of any kind




We are also doing this Lenten track from Catholic Icing.  We have done it every year.  A couple years ago I gave each child their own to color, but last year we just had Rebekah color one on the wall for everyone to look at.  Assuming their are no objections, we will have Rebekah color this one - or let her alternate with another child if there is any interest.  Having one for each child is simply too tedious to keep track of them all and keep them all "up to date."

Finally, I am looking forward to listening to this Lent at Ephesus cd a friend recommended (and was kind enough to send me, thanks Monica!!).




I will close with a few catchy lines from the "Lent" track of our new FAVORITE cd by the Dogma Dogs

It's Lent, Lent, 
time to repent, 
because it's Lent, Lent, 
our wheels they get bent, 
by what we've done or failed to do
but ask for mercy, He'll give it to you. . . 

2 comments:

  1. I have been commenting on this post in my head for the past 24 hrs, we'll see if I can remember everything I've said.

    I agree about FB. i debated that this year but it is too important a communication tool for me. It would almost be like giving up the telephone. I am trying to be more temperate in my use, and hopefully this will carry over after Lent too (because isn't that the point). Last year I gave it up and then I found after Lent I spent an inordinate amount of time catching up. Hmmmm....

    I'm so sorry about your cross! I thought I had misplaced my decals, but realized they were packed in the Lent box after looking several other places. So far we are 2 for 2 on days that the velcro has fallen off the back while an overzealous child tried to hang it. Sigh.

    I think this may be our last year to do multiple paths. I can still get away with just 2, Clem doesn't care. Next year instead of 3 I may do just one.

    20 sided dice, that is impressive. I like your list. I tried to keep things really simple this year (for me and the kids) we will see how that goes.

    The shoe thing made me laugh, if I have a pair of shoes I don't like I usually get rid of them. :-)

    We have the tall candles too but I have the outer liners in liturgical colors. I need to get another inside one though, as ours is almost burned down.

    I think that is all.

    Oh, hope you like the CD. I listened yesterday and it did not disappoint. I think you'd really like their Marian one for everyday (non-Lent, as it uses the "A" word, haha) use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Monica - always a pleasure :)

    I've gotten over the cross. Maybe next year. They seem to be enjoying our "new" book a lot.

    As for the shoes - it is a pair of tennis shoes that I had thought fit and was breaking them in. But I went for a run (after wearing them for my daily work-out for a couple weeks) and discovered the right one rubbed my big toe funny (no other shoe has done this, so I'm thinking it is a fault of the shoe, not my foot) - it caused a giant blood blister - yuck! But I could not bring myself to get rid of them because they are still in such good condition and they "look nice." So now I wear them around the house or when I am out and about some - with thick socks and tying the laces just right they are ok for normal wear (just a little rub). So, penitential shoes - who knew? :) Maybe I will have worn them out by Easter :)

    Oh and the Lenten path - I thought Rebekah would be the one coloring it, but she is letting Samuel do it. Who knew? No one else seems to mind and they all enjoy looking at it and commenting.

    So far I am liking the cd. I just might have to look into the other one when Lent is over.

    Blessings!! :)

    ReplyDelete