Thursday, December 27, 2012

Happy Birthday Me!!

Disclaimer: This post is a bid ego-centric, true, but I do this for the kids. . . and they are not really able to do it for me. . . and I gave blood today (which normally I do without missing a beat, but of course, not so much today) and it has COMPLETELY wiped me out, so all I can do is sit here at my computer and goof, so. . . without any further excuses I bring you a glimpse of yours truly:
Mary Elizabeth

*My mom had planned on calling me Sarah, but when I came out she said I was "a Mary."  To this day I have a bit of an affinity for the name Sarah, but have yet to give it to one of my children.

*All through high school and most of college I SERIOUSLY was going to be a nun!!  (Much prayer and a man practically falling into my lap - to pray with me - how ironic, which finally led me to this life as wife and mother.)

*This year I am the same age as those fancy bags everyone has parties for: 31.

*My favorite food is the honey whole-wheat sandwich bread I have been mixing in my breadmaker and baking in the oven. (I like it so much I have been making it every day or two in order for us to use it for toast at breakfast - every morning.)

*Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  99.8% of the time I have two slices of peanut butter (natural of course - the best) and strawberry jam - I used to use 12 grain bread, but now I am seriously in love with this homemade honey-whole-wheat, as I mentioned above.

*I wash laundry every other day (including cloth diapers).  It was not until the addition of our last child (#5) that this came to be.  I used to wash cloth diapers every other day, but only wash "house" laundry every three days or so.  Why the addition of one little baby changed everything is beyond me, but there you have it.

*My favorite past-times are reading my catechism or some other intellectual-faithy-type of book and knitting.  (But I usually only let myself do either of these after I have at least spent a few minutes reading my bible first.)

*Nicknames I use for my kids - sometimes, not always:
Mirimantus - Miriam
Sunshine - Rebekah
Paulonius - Paul
Yacob - Jacob
Samoooel - Samuel

*I usually spend most of my days trying to homeschool the kiddos.  Secondarily I try to keep the house generally tidy and free from mold (hey, no need to set the bar too high, right? :)  Thirdly, in my copious amounts of free time (or when we take time off from school for holidays and such) I deep clean, re-organize, and try to de-clutter as much as I can.

*Virtue I pray for most: patience (second is humility)

*Favorite bible verse:

For God's Love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.  (Romans 5:5)

I really like the thought of God "pouring" his love into us - so we can be filled up completely with it.

*Latest ambition: to try and cut out processed food.  I'm not going "cold turkey" on it or anything, but I am trying to make more healthy food choices for myself and our family.

*Final thought:  I am feeling EXCEEDINGLY blessed this year!  I cannot thank God enough for our amazing family, the husband's job, my many many supportive friends, and all the great opportunities we have here.

Happy Birthday, me! :)

Great picture, 'eh?  It is the ONLY picture that includes me which I can find at the moment, so enjoy :)


4 comments:

  1. Some things I knew, some I didn't. Glad to know more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was fun to read. happy birthday to you! i'm very impressed that you generously gave blood on your birthday. i'm very stingy with my blood : ( granted, i passed out several times the one time i donated, but even if i hadn't, the big needle would deter me from doing it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday YOU!!!

    Great post, I really enjoyed it.

    I like your nicknames. Somehow I have started calling Clem "squish muffin". It drives Aaron crazy and now that I've typed it I realize just how ridiculous it sounds. But there you have it.

    I totally get you on the laundry. I don't launder quite as often as you (as I am 2 kids behind you), but my laundry schedule totally changed when Clem arrived. Plus, it seems there is more in the winter simply b/c clothes are bigger and bulkier. I wash dipes on Tues., Thurs. and Sat.

    I have a honey whole-wheat bread recipe I really like as well. I'll have to compare.

    BLESSINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Mary!! Sorry I missed this post, but the random Mary facts were fun to read. I hope it was a great day for you.

    ReplyDelete