Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Nerdy Nursing Post

I have recently felt compelled to post on some of the things I use for successful nursing.  I have been nursing babies for about 7 years now.  As things have progressed, I have found what I consider "the necessities."  So if you are still looking for "a good nursing bra" or some other item related to nursing, feel free to read on and consider what works for me.  Maybe you will find something you want to try.

First off, the bra.  I have probably purchased about 15 different nursing bras over the years.  Some have been good, some have been great, and some of been duds.  Unfortunately, often after I decide a bra is "great" they stop making that particular style.  This has happened to me at least three times.  So when you find "the one," you might want to consider purchasing an extra before they stop making it or you forget what size it was and the website it came from (or maybe that only happens to me :)

Side Note #1: I like soft-cup bras so that is what I have links to here.  Underwire "can" cause blocked milk ducts.  (Of course, heavy, unsupported breast can cause backaches, so sometimes you have to pick your poison.)  But I know other ladies have had great success with underwire.

Side Note #2: An important part of finding the right bra is finding the right size.  If you have one of those "bra sizing" people at a major department store, I recommend them.  Once I was in a city big enough to go to one of those and discovered I was wearing a "very wrong-sized" bra for me.  (This was long before marriage and kids, though.)  We do not have those kind of people in my small town.  Many websites have suggestions on how to find your size.  Often the size you find from one method will vary from the size found from a different method on a different site.  The last time I ordered I tried three different methods, telling me I was three different sizes.  So I guessed what I thought my size was and ended up ok.  Unfortunately I have no real helpful suggestions in this category, other than to say, do not be afraid to order a larger cup size than you think you need.  I was a barely C cup before kids  and now I am an E (or double D - depending on how the sizing goes).

My latest treasure (that is still being made) is the Anita Maternity Softcup Nursing Bra #5051.  I did not initially buy it from Amazon, but I could not remember what company I originally bought it from, so I googled the brand and model number and amazon popped up!  So I ordered from Amazon this second time around.  This bra has good support and is very comfortable with easy to open and close nursing cups.  I can't really think of anything bad about this bra.

I also have  an Anita brand nursing bra but they no longer make it.  However this one from Anita looks super-cute and similar to my last one.  If I needed another bra right now I would definitely consider giving it a try.

I have a Goddess Nursing Bra GD2050 and I definitely recommend it.  It is comfortable and works well, except it has a weird quirk.  When I bend over, the nursing cups unsnap on their own.  So if you are going to be sitting or out and about (not bending over), it is great.  If you are going to be picking up toys or cleaning the floor, it gets kinda old to resnap the clasps all the time.  I had read a review that said this happened so I was prepared.  But the reviewer said she would still buy this bra again, despite this quirk and I think I agree.  It is a good bra.

I also purchased two nursing sports bra way back in the beginning.  The company I purchased them from (Breakout Bras) still makes a nursing sports bra but it is not quite the same so I am hesitant to recommend it.  I am in no way disappointed with the nursing sports bras I bought.  They are actually great bras and I wear them even when I do not have nurslings.  However, there is not much "need" for a nursing sports bra as regular sports bras are really not that difficult to "slip out of" and nurse if needed.  Ideally I work out when the baby is sleeping and then I shower and put on a nursing bra for the rest of the day (and feedings).  The only times I could see a nursing sports bra to be really helpful would be for day-long sport-type activities such as hiking.

Side note #3: When I have a nursling I often wear two or three nursing bras to work-out.  I wear a "high impact" one and then put a moderate support (or lighter support) one or two on top of that one to keep things "stable" for jumping and such while exercising. 

A good night nursing bra is a must - especially in the beginning!!  I did not know about these until my second child and I seriously went to bed with a bath towel to put over the non-nursing-breast.  It was a less-than-ideal situation.  Finally I discovered night bras that could hold my nursing pads in place.  Alleluia!!  I have several of these Motherwear Lace Trim Cotton Sleep Bras.  They are not amazing, but they do the job and are a good price..  Anything remotely like them would probably suffice.

For milk catching, I use Avent washable nursing pads.  I initially bought them from some online drugstore site, but then purchased more from Amazon.  I like these a lot.  I have about 20 pair.  I use one pair per day, generally, and change to a fresh set at night.  (*Disclaimer: Some of the reviewers of this product claimed it was not absorbent enough.  I have never had a problem with them, but maybe I'm not a "heavy milker."  I really don't know.)

For nursing in public, I always feel very exposed in my mid-section and back.  I have found these undeshirts from a brand called Skinies to be very comfortable and functional.  I wear them UNDER my bra as wearing it OVER my bra makes reclipping the nursing cups confusing and difficult to manage.  I usually tuck the bottom of it into my pants.  It is helpful in the winter especially, but can get a little hot in the summer.  (On a side note: I have not ordered them from the site I linked here, but I cannot remember where I last ordered them from and this is the first place they popped up when I googled the name.)

I also recommend open bust shapewear.  I have one like this from Bali, but mine is not "firm control."  Mine is "light control" and I would recommend only going light unless you are looking for something to make you considerably more "shapely."  I have mine for comfort.  Anything more than light control is not going to be comfortable to wear all day.  And light control is enough to give you a nice smooth shape - very good for dress clothes.  I usually choose black for mine so it is obvious that you are not just seeing my skin when I pull my shirt up, but to each her own. 

I do not have a nursing cover and they look silly to me, so I don't anticipate purchasing one anytime soon. If you have one and you like it, good for you. Go with what works I say! I usually just use a blanket and then take it off once I get "situated" (aka once baby is latched on and my shirt is covering any of the exposed nursing breast), unless I am in an uncomfortable situation or have people sitting very close (such as at church). In those instances I generally keep the blanket on until she is done.

My final "nursing essential" is my sling.  The brand I have is Over the Should Baby Holder.  Since we have a convertible carseat this time (one that stays in the car) I ALWAYS have the sling with me to "throw" the baby in when we get in and out of the car.  But more than just a baby carrier, I find that nursing in the sling is great.  If her head is toward the side on your shoulder it gives you a nice cover.  Also, once baby is done, she often falls asleep and being snuggled in the sling for sleep is perfect so I can move about without disturbing her.  The only drawback is that sometimes it is hot.

Final side note: I do not really have much to say as far as wardrobe.  I honestly do not have any fashion sense.  I have a few "dressier clothes" but mostly I wear t-shirts, jeans, gym shorts, etc.  I have a few dresses that are not conducive to nursing but mostly I can wear anything I have and nurse fine (using an undershirt usually).  If you are looking for a post on "snazzy nursing outfits" perhaps you could consider writing one as that is definitely not my area of expertise :)

Here is a list of some sites I have found helpful (all referenced and linked above, but put together nice and neatly here).  All of them carry nursing bras and I have had good expereince ordering from each of them as well. 

Breakout bras
Motherwear
Her Room
Bare Necessities

And of course Amazon, but you probably don't need a link for that one :)

7 comments:

  1. GREAT post!! Very good info. I have learned a lot in the four years I've nursed, and anticipate learning more as I go. I have had good luck with the bras from Motherhood Maternity so far, and yes, the sleep/night ones are really nice. I also find it very helpful to have some sort of nursing pajama top as well, again I've gotten both styles (they discontinued the first one :) I have from Motherhood.

    As for nursing pads, I find these wool ones to be amazing
    http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=150&products_id=124
    I got a pair when Kolbe was born and they are awesome. They take a little more care than other ones, but need washed less often so it really is no biggie. I also have some cotton ones I've picked up here and there that I use too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also going to say, I ordered a nursing cami for the first time this go around (I actually had a coupon for a free one from Cotton Babies with $50 order). I don't do cami's on their own, but like them a bunch for layering with t-shirts, sweatshirts in the winter, etc., but despise having to hike them up/stretch them out for nursing, so I'm excited about trying this. I'm also not a huge fan of the nursing covers, and don't mind nursing "uncovered" once the baby is situated, and I think the cami will provide some great coverage and convenience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, Monica. That reminds me. I forgot to mention "the cami." I bought some with my last babe, but they had built-in bras and I DID NOT LIKE THAT!! The built-in bras were not supportive enough to use on their own (plus they made a uni-boob) and were not comfortable to wear with a regular bra. (plus the cup confusion - try to pull down and put back two nursing cups per side!) So I stick to the "undershirt" like the Skinies or "shapewear," so I can wear my own bra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, I'll have to keep that in mind. Like I said, this one was free, so if I hate it I guess I'm not out anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My main issue with nursing in public is more about exposing my belly than anything. I have found two good solutions: i wear one of those bella band type things (you know, the kind you can wear with regular pants in early pregnancy?) pulled up to my bra and tucked in my pants. Or i get the "long and skinny" tank tops from target and just pull the neckline down to nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU for this post, Mary! I've been banging my head against the wall trying to find nursing bras! My issue = size. Yo, just because I'm an H cup doesn't mean I'm fat. Try finding a 32/34 H ... they ain't easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it was helpful, Karen. As I reread it I realize it sounds abotu like it was written - pieced together in a distracted way. And my original inspiration was to share my nursing bra styles, but when I look back, I shared all of two styles (one more potential) and that is it! But I guess I do only have four good nursing bras right now, two are the same brand and style and one is discontinued, so I guesss I really only have two that I can recommend. How sad. It seems like much more, though, as I'm SOOOO grateful for what I've found.

    I hope you have some luck finding your size. You are not alone in the "beyond blessed" world of breasts (although I would not necessarily put myself in that world :)- just gotta find the right resources :)

    ReplyDelete