Sunday, June 3, 2012

Loving God at all times

My daily reflection book really hit home again.  It is as follows (highlighting and bold print my emphasis):

Jesus left Bethany on his way to Jerusalem. A few miles away, and He felt hungry, Saint Mark tells us in the Gospel of today's Mass (1 Mark 11:11-26). This is one of many occasions when the blessed humanity of Christ can be seen. He wanted to draw near to us and share in the limitations and learn to sanctify them. The Gospel tells us that Jesus saw a fig tree some distance away and went to see if he could find any fruit on it. But he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. And he said: May no one ever eat fruit from you again. They returned later that day from Jerusalem to Bethany where Jesus probably spent the night in the hospitable house where he was always welcome – the home of Lazarus, Martha, and Mary. And on the following day, as they again journeyed up to the holy city, they all saw the fig tree withered away to its roots.

Jesus knew that it was not the season for figs. He knew too that there were none on the fig tree. He wished, however, to teach his disciples, in a way they would never forget, how God had come to the Jewish people, hungry for fruits of holiness and good works. All he had found were mere lifeless observances: worthless leaves. On that occasion too the Apostles learned that every moment presents a good opportunity for giving results. We cannot wait for special circumstances in order to sanctify ourselves. God comes to us looking for good deeds in moments of sickness, in our ordinary everyday occupations, both when we are overworked and when everything is going well and all is ordered and peaceful. He visits us as much in our tiredness as in our rest, in success and failure, in financial ruin – if God allows it – and in times of prosperity. It is precisely those circumstances which can and should produce fruit – all different, perhaps, but unique and wonderful. We should find God in all circumstances because He gives us the graces we need. You also, says the Venerable Bede, ought to guard against becoming a fruitless tree, in order to offer Jesus, who has become poor, the fruit which He needs. He wants us to love him always with deeds, at every moment, everywhere, in every conceivable situation. Are we doing our best to give fruit now, at the time, at the age and in the circumstances in which we find ourselves? Are we waiting till there arrives a more favorable time for bringing our friends to God?

(In Conversation With God, Volume 3, p 446-447)

I have this sense of waiting.  I was pregnant, I was waiting to have the baby.  I brought the baby home, now I am waiting for life to return to "normal."  But in the midst of this waiting, I realized I should not be waiting for my spiritual life to continue.  God wants us to be turning to Him and doing good in ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.  So in my case, in the midst of recovering and learning how to care for all my children, I should be doing "good."  Ok, you definitely got me with that one.  Not only have I not really taken full advantage of my situation to try and "do good," I can tell you NUMEROUS occasions where I took full advantage of my situation to justify doing "not-so-good."  It is ok to yell at the children.  I am tired and do not feel well.  I do not have to be patient or kind right now, I just had a baby.  I am almost ashamed to admit that I needed this reminder, but I did and here I am trying again.  Maybe someone reading this also needs to be reminded.

Here are a few bible verses I came across that comforted and convicted me in this.

Come to me all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you an dlearn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls.  for my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  (Matthew 11:28-30)

Endure trials for the sake of discipline.  God is treating you like children for what child is there whom a parent does not discipline? (Hebrews 12:7)

Now discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.  (Hebrews 12:11)

Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees and make straight paths for your feet so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.  (Hebrews 12:12-13)


1 comment: